Four strange things you would like to learn in the remaining days of 2017

So why don’t we have a roundtable on this and see if we can link up wants/desires with teachers/fellow inquiziatives (it’s a word I just made it up)

Nicole Franczvai would like to learn how to:
Breathe fire
Learn/go metal detecting (this is actually my sons goal - so mine by default)
Build a hive/keep bees (yes @HankCowdog I’m aware of the beekeepers meetings just no time)
Explore encaustics further (I’ve taken two classes but would like to get stuff for the space to play and learn)
added bonus learn how to camp and not be a diva the entire time

2 Likes

Lol. Camping is easy. It also depends on what kind of camping you have in mind. Some consider travel trailer/RV camping. Others are car camping (my preference because I don’t wanna carry my stuff a long distance). Then there is hiking then camping. Then those that just sleep on a cot or the ground.

3 Likes

Awesome thread! (And I’ll be more than glad to help with that camping thing. Girls nights out could be fun. Don’t forget the value of glamping.

===

1. Figure out a low-cost tablet alternative that is infinitely repeatable for these folks:

http://worldpossible.org/guatemala.html

I’m pretty sure that means giving into Android. That’s strange enough for me. :confused:

1. Spanish. Oh how I suck at this one. I couldn’t even learn shorthand properly back in the day. Another language is still very - well - foreign to me.

1. How to back a trailer. (This goes along with camping.) IT SHOULDN’T BE THAT HARD, DAMMIT! But I really do it like a girl. I want to fix that.

1. How to field dress a deer. (Hey. You asked for weird.)

This or nothing
#yurtlife

https://www.glamping.com/glamping-types/yurts/

2 Likes

I knew you’d find a soulmate in those pages.

By end of 2017, I’d like to have completely finished my projects list.

I can dream!! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Not yet…but I’m all good with that. My soulmate is me.

3 Likes

One hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Start backing slowly. Move hand in direction you want the trailer to go.

Possibly followed by: Curse a lot. Pull forward, repeat.

3 Likes

I’m good at that second part.

1 Like

The best hint I’ve heard of to back a trailer is to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel instead of at the top. That makes the changes you make work backwards, which means it it the right way instead of the wrong way.

The physics of backing means that the greater the length between the trailer axle and ball compared to the front wheels and the ball of the tow car the easier it is to backup. Think about a semi tractor compared to the trailer. Most P/U trucks with a trailer are the most difficult to back. The shorter the trailer the worse it is.

2 Likes
  1. Become competent with Python, PHP and Raspberry Pi
  2. Fly an R/C airplane
  3. Understand ELF internals so that I can make my cross assemblers link
  4. Come up with #4

Backpacking: camping using only materials and supplies found in nature, previously cached or carried on one’s own person (or by fellow backpackers)

3 Likes
  1. Iterative 3d mapped super-resolution
  2. Hair dying
  3. Casting (plastic and/or metal)
  4. How to prioritize effectively (yes, the irony is intentional)
1 Like

Except when you go past that magic 45 degree point where the trailer tongue is “out-steering” the back of the pickup. At that point, you’re going to have to go forward to get it back to where you can steer it. The further unaligned the front-to-back axis of your vehicle versus the trailer, the harder it gets.

Tractor-trailers have it easier, as they use a yoke which allows them to push the front end of the trailer around without hitting the (non-existent) bed or cab.

I used to go out foraging on a regular basis. It’s amazing how many edibles people walk / drive by, on a daily basis. Every time you walk into DMS, you pass one of the only naturally occurring forms of caffeine native to the US. But if you consume the incorrect parts or the incorrect quantities, you will find out why its scientific name is Ilex vomitoria. :puke:

Thanks for the reminder. One of my favorite dewberry patches is pretty close to DMS. I need to go check on them.

1 Like

OMGosh! Start a category for this. It’s morel season. There’s wild everything out there. I love living off the land.

And those that have morel patches that they visit in Texas, would probably cutoff digits before they give up the location. haha. I have not gone out to specifically search for morels, since I usually get distracted by something shiny and miss the season. I have collected other edible (legal) mushrooms though. (e.g. oysters, woodears) You have to pay a little more attention to detail, when collecting mushrooms to consume. You can have two mushrooms in front of you that look the same, and the only difference that you will find is spore color. One of those is edible only once. I didn’t start collecting mushrooms to eat until I had been foraging for a couple of years.

3 Likes

Being really new to DMS, I first need to get signed off to operate as many of the tools as possible. Outside of that, here are some things that I want to learn / do this year. (some of it not necessarily at the space.)

Mold making
Casting (metal and resin)
Build a DRSSTC (probably a kit for the first round)
Lichtenberg pyrography
Coin rings

There will be more, but those are the ones that came to mind.

-Kenny

1 Like
  1. Learn Python (off to a slow start a few weeks ago then nothing)
  2. Learn modern 3D modeling apps (I could make ACAD 14 do whatever I wanted with solids and extrudes; seems that paradigm is long gone with Fusion 360 et al)
  3. Learn some of the basics of power electronics so I can devise a few powebanks and scale to the point of cobbling together a reasonably safe, efficient, and affordable RV/tinyhouse-size bank
  4. Take the CNC router class
  1. Cut a guitar body.
  2. Build a decent sized RC glider.
  3. Finish a LibGDX game.
  4. … TBD