Forklift Operators Needed

I have a piece of equipment being delivered to the space that requires it to be moved around by the forklift. Are there any operators available?

A pallet jack should do if the delivery can be made on pallets.

I don’t believe this can be broken down into two parts. It’s about 6’ tall. It won’t be on pallets. It can be taken off the truck using a pallet jack but I don’t think it will be able to place it in the science area from the loading dock.

Some creative use of wood bracing should suffice to move it with the pallet jack.

The seller wanted us to use a forklift to transport it back into the science area. If we use what you guys are suggesting, do I have a guarantee that it will work? Also if I go this route, I’m going to need extra help.

I’d be similarly worried about there being appropriate fork points…

Do we have any forklift operators available. And the forklift that we have, can it do the job?

When is this supposed to get delivered?

Around 8 a.m. - 11 a.m., it can only be delivered on a weekday. I’m searching for an operator that can do this time frame.

You could definitely crib up a pallet jack to move it around.

I think this is a bit ridiculous that the seller is dictating how we operate. A forklift is completely unnecessary.

1 Like

It’s not ridiculous if the seller is offering some type of guarantee or warranty. It’s a pain in the rump to deny coverage based on or try to fix damage caused by improper moving of a device.

I’ve operated a forklift(4 wheel drive offroad) and I’d be really concerned trying to move that with a forklift completely unprotected. Looks really easy to damage. How heavy is it?

He isn’t trying to dictate anything. Let me clarify:

1. His reasoning is under the assumption that I and a forklift operator will be the only one available to assist in the delivery. He delivered a fume hood to us last time with just him and I. We unloaded it with a pallet jack, because it was able to be separated and placed on two pallets.This hood can not be separated into two pieces and placed on a pallet.

2. His delivery truck was able to match up to our dock. He was going to use it again to deliver this hood, but it is too tall to fit. He is contracting another company to deliver this hood. Their truck is lower than our delivery dock. Having some type of machine to lower down and assist the dock with lifting the hood into the garage will lessen the load. Hence his reasoning for wanting us to use a forklift to lower down and assist lifting it up.

3. I spoke with him and he said we could use a pallet jack but that would require me to gather volunteers during a time frame of 8 a.m. - 11 a.m. during the weekday.

That being said I’ll just go ahead and use a pallet jack, see if I can gather some volunteers and figure it out myself.

Is there a typo or is it actually a 15 hour window?

1 Like

typo thanks 8 a.m. - 11 a.m.

As far as I know there are exactly 2 people who can use the forklift we have at DMS, @bgangwere and one other person I don’t the name of. I would guess it’s very unlikely that one of those two would be available in that time window. Gantry crane or the car wheel dollies are always an option.

Thank you, just what I needed to know.