For Electronics Chair - Proposal to buy used Airvac DRS-22 placement/rework system

My names is Steven Kummerl (Maker Space Member since 2016) and I work at TI with over 15years of electronics manufacturing experience. I’ve been offered a great deal for an airvac DRS-22 prismatic rework machine with over $5k worth of nozzles included. System is old but I’m very familiar with the system and can offer training. it’s the “goto” system in my opinion for anyone wanting to place or rework BGA’s and other BTC components (bottom terminated components). Needs a $35 vacuum motor available on ebay but entire system is operational which I can fix at no cost. Current owner has it crated up and ready to ship. I would offer this to Maker Space before my work picks it up since I would have much more access - closer to home. If interested please contact me. Is there interest for this and if so is there budget to purchase? I estimate $3.2K plus ~$1k shipping (best guess at this point).

Hi Steven!
Interesting offer. Not sure what the demand for it would be.
The estimated $4k is a budget buster.
With expansion/moving coming up soon, available committee funds are tight.
Thanks for offering this to DMS Electronics!

Art

OK & thanks for the quick response!

That reflow oven was part of Walter’s estate designated for the ELab. There is some kind of mod he was looking into. Thomas @benemorius and Ben @TBenV are following up on this.

Included in the box was a roll of Kapton tape.

Also part of this year’s Mouser donation is a Metcal PCT-103-11 preheat wrkstn.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Metcal/PCT-103-11?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiSOaD4GSsJM1MYgXnnEfTqfFXQ%2F9zI6t4%3D

http://www.okinternational.com/convection_rework_system/id-pct-103-11/pct-103-11_focus_pre-heater_115v_with_arm_rest_integrated_board_holder

Nice additions. The preheater unit is very helpful when trying to solder or desolder fet’s and other devices with more thermal inertia. That plus a hot gas rework tool should be able to solder a wide variety of package types w/o overshooting delamination temperatures.

Steve

Hooray!
plus 10 char