Food Scientists Here? Any interest in classes?

Hi I’m new here and joined mostly to learn and to build stuff with wood and other materials.
I’m a Food Scientist and “Culinologist” by education and career. M.S,
I love to teach and have several friends/food biz colleagues who are willing to teach, give demos and talks about food related topics…from basic bread baking, food preservation…acidification, dehydration, meats, to who knows what, nutrition topics, food microbiology…what do do with all those garden vegetables Can be kitchen science or more technical. Anyone interested? A couple of friends who are like me(early 60’s) have considered teaming up to form a food and beverage makerspace concept.
LMK if there are ideas, suggestions, interest…or no interest.I can try to coordinate.
Also other related on Biosciences, growing, etc.

9 Likes

I’d love to learn more about the various starches, gums, etc., that are used in “processed” foods. For example, one sees “modified food starch” a lot. Is that one particular product or a catch-all for any of a number of commercial starches? What is there to know about various such products and their behavior (e.g., heat, freeze, reheat stability).

I’m well familiar with the behavior of grocery store available corn starch and tapioca starch. Would like to learn about others.

I’m sure there are a lot of other topics I could think of…

2 Likes

I’d be interested in most everything you have mentioned! Sounds cool! And I’m ready to join in and take classes etc. Thank you for bringing these great ideas and shares to the DMS community!

You’re welcome! I’ll meeting with a couple of my colleagues who can help out at the DMS on Friday we’ll brainstorm some more ideas and the experts we know than can deliver them.

That’s a great idea! That can be arranged. Let’s call it texturants and other stuff. Starch, hydrocolloids/gums, maybe talk about emulsiiers as well. then we can make ice cream or other fun things, to see for mouthfeel, aeration.
Modernist pantry sells lots of these things and they sell many of the tools of the trade in small quantities…Expensive! They have some good videos. That their chef does.

If you look onhttps://modernistpantry.com/)

2 Likes

YES…YES…YES…YES…to everything!!! :hugs:

carageenan!

Ok Will work on it. give me a few days! I may need to recruit some help!

Gotcha…All of them. I used to sell truckloads of that stuff.

1 Like

Those are all interesting topics, would be nice to have classes that touch on the subjects. Specifically interested in fermentation and dehydration.

Yes sir. Fermentation – Beer? Bread? Dairy, Meats/Salumi, lots to discuss there. Magical process.
Dehydration – We could collaborate with and metal hop and build a solar dehydrator set up I have seen plans for.
I know some good resources on air dehyd. of some pretty tasty dishes, not just basic veggies, and meats. For campers hikers, gardeners.

We’ll talk, Thanks for you input!

Alcohol used to be made at the space but is now specifically banned.

Kombucha/Tepache would be interesting.

Don’t forget Kimchi.

Need to recreate the Slim Jim. Not an improved version. Not one that doesn’t use buttholes and rooster combs. I mean an authentic shredded meat grease-stick with that oddly tangy aftertaste.

1 Like

Foodie here. Curing meats/ the salami making process is magic. I would so be down for this.

1 Like

I’d love to learn about any and all of these! Food science, nutrition, as well as the more technical classes appeal to me.

That’s likely citric acid.
The citric acid is used to add shelf stability with combination of a curing agent. The process of making summer sausage and snack sticks is about the same. From what I gather, the snack sticks are a bit harder to fill the casing out using a sausage stuffer.

Waltons inc is a great place for not only the stuff to make it but the information on how. Their YouTube page is great with meatgistics. I’ve attended several live streaming events over the past week. They are really good about answering questions. Plus they are having sales over the next 3 weeks.

One of the issues you may run into is finding a meat grinder or sausage stuffer due to demand.

1 Like

Lactic acid from Lactic acid starter cultures

I have stuffer. No casings that small though.

Kind Regards,

Craig Brazier
214-793-0272

I

It would be great if you or one of your friends can talk about the microbiology of fermentation, beer making, and other food related processes.

I’m 11 year old would like classes on how to prep food in a zombie apocalypse. :joy::joy::joy:

My wife wants to learn how to make sour dough…

I would like to learn why the Bronx Bomber :yum: ( pastrami and egg salad sandwich) make a gassy out come… :nauseated_face::joy::joy::joy: man is it a tasty sandwich