Follow the science?

I had this boss about 4 years ago, the job itself was in New Mexico, it had happened to him a few years before that, and he was from Michigan’s upper peninsula. I have literally no idea where the restaurant was, or if it’s still open.

1 Like

Have you seen what they wear when they do in depth surgery like hip replacement? They wear a full damn suit. That’s the ones I’ve seen.

3 Likes

The one year I didn’t get the flu shot I got the flu, for the first time I can remember (maybe ever). It was quite mild and didn’t slow me down, though I took a couple of days off work to avoid spreading it.

My dad (~70 at the time) who was staying with us caught it from me and ended up in the ICU and then regular hospital room for five days.

1 Like

One must remember that the flu strains that are included in any particular year’s vaccine should be suppressed if enough people actually get vaccinated. Herd immunity, I sure that you’ve heard of it. Thus a lot of the influenza in that season will be from strains not included in the vaccine which leads many people to believe that the CDC ‘guessed wrong’. Hopefully the strains that are around are less prevalent than the predicted strains would have been which should result in less influenza overall. Of course, I know my crystal ball fogs up a lot, and I can’t imagine that the CDC’s is any different.

Influenza is usually a rather severe illness with high fevers, severe myalgias (body aches), headaches, sore throat, and cough. Most people are bedridden at least for a couple of days. Certainly, one can be lucky and have a mild case, but I feel that a yearly shot is a mild price to pay for avoiding significant misery or a potentially life threatening illness.

4 Likes

It’s hard to put a price on FrEeDuMb!

1 Like

I don’t know how it is in human medicine but some veterinary surgeons lock down the surgical suite as well as the full body PPE. No one is allowed to come or go until the operation is done. Usually takes about 4 - 6 hours. They seal the door with tape as well to keep the positive pressure gradient as best they can.

One surgeon I was working with was wondering if he could run O2 lines from the ceiling to hazmat suits like they do on high level biology labs so that the respiration for everyone was an entirely closed system. He was told that’s a bit much lol.

1 Like

The hospital I was at was new enough the pressurization was good enough they didn’t need to tape the doors. IIRC they also had 20 air changes per hour.

Both NASA and their Soviet counterpart learned bitter lessons about the danger of a pure O2 environment.

1 Like

What now? The official line keeps changing.

Karaoke bar means double jeopardy…

You know what I want? I want scientists that never change their opinions when presented with new data.

I want people that don’t learn from their mistakes leading the country. That would be just swell.

6 Likes

Yeah, but it sounds like the CDC released a statement before they had their facts straight.

You want them to stick to their guns on the wrong answer or correct themselves?

Personally, I’m down with “oops, we were wrong, here’s the new data” as many times as it takes.

6 Likes

I want them to keep their trap shut until they have their facts straight.

The enemy of good is perfect. People die waiting on the “correct” answer while we can make good enough assessments and then adjust them when the time comes.

Consider this:

We know it’s traveling by air, we suggest 6 feet because that’s what studies show, then oh wait, we have more evidence that people can transmit it over further distances in situations like singing where vocalization can further particulate the particles and increase the infection distance.

vs

Nothing for the first 8 months of the pandemic and then a full update with all the correct details.

Congrats. You killed 200k people, while the countries that tried what they thought would work can go to the movies.

More data is always best data. If you want them to be quiet with the facts then I suggest you stick your head in the sand and wait for the final report in the coming decade sometime.

8 Likes

Like these? :grin:

1 Like

The tech to mass produce cheap rapid home tests that are good enough (*) exists RIGHT NOW. The only reason we don’t have these in hand is that the FDA hasn’t authorized them.

Testing is the real key to this whole thing. PCR testing is slow enough that you’re either over it, or in really bad shape by the time you get results. Not helpful for quarantine purposes. Frequent rapid testing would resolve much of the doubt.

I start to wonder why it is we can’t get this an emergency approval by say - tomorrow.

We get enough of these tests in circulation and everything can open back up. We could have the holidays with our friends and families.

But the FDA hasn’t approved the test.

I have written the President and will be writing my congresscritters asking why we do not have this approval.

I find the current situation unacceptable.

• really good at detecting virus levels that match contagion. These are a spit in a tube and drop in a treated paper strip sort of test. Color change indicates infection.
1 Like

A statement like this betrays a tragic misunderstanding of the scientific method.

6 Likes

CDC “If you are sick, stay home”

A statement like this is a death sentence. Exactly wrong advice; if you are sick, GET TESTED! See your physician.

Begin treatment immediately with anti-viral and/or anti-inflammatory drugs. Even if your Covid-19 test comes back negative in 4-7 days, you will have lowered viral loading and/or bad immune response, lessened the severity and length of the disease, and enhanced your chances of avoiding permanent damage or death.

2 Likes

CDC “If you are sick, stay home”

That’s not what the CDC says.

4 Likes

A statement like yours betrays a tragic misunderstanding of @Bill’s understanding of the scientific method.

Or even the point of his post.

2 Likes