Flashlight Recommendations

There are a ton of lithium battery cree LED flashlights on Amazon. I’m overwhelmed with chinese brand options, with various prices. I just want a decent < $20-30 LED flashlight that’s somewhat small, aluminum chassis, etc.

I do not understand what you are wanting in a flashlight, and I know the general sentiment in regard to Harbor Freight, but if you’re looking at “Chinese brand options”, theirs is as good as anyones, so far as I know.
For small, durable, bright as day, and sensible battery layout, I really like those I have of these. 1 per car, couple extra in toolboxes. Uses 3 AAA.
For a larger, durable, bright as day, less sensible battery layout, but better if you’re looking to stand it up and illuminate a workspace layout in the $30 range, go ahead and get this set. The drill is crap but the flashlight and battery work great as long as you monitor the charger so it doesn’t overheat.
For something in between, with options for lighting smaller space, or bigger, or whatever, I also like this magnetic/hook one…

If none of that is anywhere near what you want, sorry I did not understand your request. If you are wanting Cree specific, sorry, no experience. I break or loose too many flashlights to bother spending much $$ on them, so I watch HF for sales and get them free or near if possible…

I have a couple of these I like.
fenix ld02

1 Like

I am partial to http://www.thrunite.com The build quality and reliability far surpasses any other brand of a comparable price. I have carry a “Lynx” as my EDC, with a Turbo Head. Before that one, My EDC was their “Scorpion” Flashlight. Both are powered by a single 18650 and the lynx is 1000lms. I do not know if they where every offered…in this universe… I usually gift the TN11. There are minimum 5 items every human should carry every day… A reliably flashlight is second in that list.

…X…

Fenix has been a good brand for me. Reasonably well-made, seem to have lower failure rates than the knockoff *fire brands on the 'zon and the 'bay, AA/AAA variants happily run on a wide variety of cells (alkaline, li- primary, NiMH) and their dealers typically offer good warranty support.

I’ve had a LD01 on my keychain for years that’s been reliable … finish has taken a beating but that’s to be expected.

Also note that Cree is a LED manufacturer, and that almost any cheap flashlight with Cree in the product name may or may not actually contain a Cree LED.

1 Like

Great suggestions. I agree I want a EDC flashlight because they work better than a phone light. I now have to figure out a “utility belt” setup because of the gadgets I want to carry with me, I don’t have enough pocket space.

I am kind of partial to maglite since my dad always uses them. I found this one has a lot of features and pretty good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Maglite-XL200-LED-Flashlight-Black/dp/B005EHL6O8/ref=pd_sim_469_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=01NE845V62K52Y0J1CYR

I just wanted to see what options are out there and why they’re better than the chinese alternatives. I probably could get one from harbor freight but I like the idea of buying a product that can last a long time instead of disposable stuff.

@themitch22 EDC Flashlight is so important, I cleared all the other items in my left pants pocket. With the flashlight’s built in clip, I attach and maintain it in that pocket; readily accessible day or night. It is the one EDC item I use consistently.

I would encourage you to step into the 18650 battery type flashlights because they offer the most for the least in every important way. Thrunite offers a 1050lms light that uses a single 18650 battery.

…X…

The TN12 is the one available on amazon,its a little more but I might
consider that instead of the maglite. I like the 18650 versatility more.

They have a combo since I guess I’d need the batteries and charger. At least they’re really common for vaporizers too.

Well, while they may not last a lifetime like some of the high dollar flashlights, I carry inexpensive Chinese flashlights. If I misplace it, or break it, I just grab another. For the last several years, I have been carrying the singfire light from deal extreme, with my previous one lasting 2+ years of daily carry and use before i destroyed it. It is not has bright has the 1000lm, 18650 lights, but it is more then adequate for most needs and runs off a 14500 battery the size of a AA, making it smaller to carry and lasting a couple of hours on a full charge at full brightness, while most of the single 18650, 1000lm lights only average an hour at full brightness.

Singfire cree

I’ve worked for three private security companies. Maglite is the flashlight of choice for many security guards. In particular, a six “D” cell aircraft-grade aluminum Maglite is the weapon of choice, not just for fighting the dark, but also the things that go bump in the dark.

I own an aluminum flashlight manufactured by “Catalina Ltg, Inc.” It’s durable and has provided me with reliable operation for about a decade. I can’t find them on the Internet, though.

@Tony @Interesting… So a AA battery can provide a couple of hours of ~300lumens(being generous) and a 18650 only an hour at 1000lms. I dont see how that would make the 18650 less desirable.

And 18650 flashlights usually have several different modes of brightness. The one I currently carry has 4 programmable modes of intensity from .05 of a lumen to 1000 lumen with momentary on. If I knew I needed to view flashlights as consumables, then I would agree that cheaper is (probably) better. but ceteris paribus quality of functionality over quantity.

BTW, it took me the better part of a decade to understand just how superior 18650 where to standard off the shelf batteries. I would not give one to anyone not familiar with the technologies involved. There is some things that one MUST know to operate the 18650 safely and get the most out of them… but not a learning curve that should sway new users from adopting them.

…X…

No, it is designed to work with a 14500 lithium battery similiar to the 18650, but the same size as an AA battery. The flashlight will work with a AA battery in a pinch, but it is not near as bright. My key factor in the thought of carrying this, is that the flashlight is smaller, and thus more prone to actually being carried and still has a good light output for most uses. I do normally keep one of the 1000lm, 18650 lights in backpack, along with extra batteries, and will carry it depending on the situation. The run time comparison was probably not fair, as running the same led off of an 18650 will result in a longer run time vs the smaller 14500 battery.

I just can’t bring myself to EDC on my person an 18650 / 2x123A light. Too much bulk for the pocket, more lumens and runtime than I find myself needing for routine stuff.

Oh, I see and totally agree with you. You are a cut above the vast majority. If the light is lighter, there IS a higher probability that someone will carry it on their person… point made and accepted.

…X…

I used to be in that camp, unfortunately negative life experiences have forced me to acquiesce the carry of an 18650. YMMV.

…X…

I work in an office, live in the suburbs, and have found that the AAA keychain light is adequate for almost every unplanned situation involving darkness. Whenever I drive out to the folks house in the country an assortment of lights come with, such as a Fenix PD35 and a modified Thrunite TN30 4x18650 “pop can” light that spits out >3000 lumens. I also have a Fenix LD12 in my work backpack, but it’s rarely used.

But everyone has different circumstances, so I don’t criticize and am only speaking for myself.

For flashlights, I buy one or more of these 18650 flashlights from China:

Then I tear apart some old laptop batteries and get the 18650 cells out of them. Usually a laptop battery will have at least 3 or more good 18650 batteries in them.

Then I buy one of these chargers from China to charge the batteries I harvested from the laptop packs:

http://www.dx.com/s/18650%2Bcharger?category=401

And for the price of one or two maglites, I can get several VERY BRIGHT flashlights that fit in the car, my backpack, and nightstand.

Here is another one that I have and like for the fact that it has an adjustable focus on it along with being nice and bright. It is the one that normally lives in backpack.
http://www.dx.com/p/new-630-cree-xm-l-t6-900lm-5-mode-white-zooming-flashlight-black-silver-1-x-18650-181992

The one that paulstaf linked to also looks like a nice light.

I also bought one of these for when I need light and want to have both hands free…these things are WICKED powerful:

http://www.dx.com/p/waterproof-outdoor-xm-l-t6-led-800lm-3-mode-cool-white-headlamp-bike-light-black-2-x-18650-388193#.VXG7TWORirE

+1 Fenix ld02

Mitch get something simple and not overly complicated. 18650 are great batteries and have great runtime etc… But the truth is you can’t buy them in stores as it does not pass the Super Walmart test.

So generally better to to have a simple light that runs on AA or AAA batteries.

There could be a argument for CR123A but you will be paying 5 dollar a battery at every store.

Just so everyone does not bash me for hating on 18650 there great lights and I have plenty of 18650 lights but I would not do them EDC. I use them for more specialized applications.

3 Likes