Five No-Shows, a Late Cancellation and No Honorarium

Would suggest a time limit: 1, 2,5 or how many hours you think appropriate. For me, that would be at least two hours so folks can see it and make last minute changes - but that’s me. Less than hour basically makes it unable except for standbys which would be there anyway.

The flaw in the system is – if you’ve got a cancellation deadline set, then you can’t add your standbys to get credit.

2 Likes

If that bug hasn’t been reported yet then please create one on the github tracker I’ll be posting the priority meeting for bugs and feature requests and the more we have up on the issue tracker the better we can address these flaws.

This is not a bug, per se, but the cancellation deadline and the registration deadline should be two distinct independent values.

5 Likes

Ok good to know. Then can we call it an architectural and/or UX flaw and devise a resolving user story?

4 Likes

What is needed is a “cancellation by” time to receive refund but still allow registrations if class is open.

2 Likes

As I submitted a couple of classes yesterday, I decided to plagiarize @jphelps but change his late-cancelation to no-cancelation. (I’ll add another L to cancellation next time.)

Note: Due to a recent increase in no-shows/late-cancellations you must be approved by the instructor to attend the class. I will compare applicants against recent no-shows and, if you’re on the list, you will need to provide an explanation for your previous behavior and why you’ll make it this time.

Did you notice the beauty of the ambiguity of Jay’s terminology. Does it mean he will check a list of no-shows for his classes for the last 30 days? Maybe he is going to research a giant centralized database with information going back to the birth of DMS. Of course it could be a bluff just to encourage folks not to no-show. Its clearly above the Need-To-Know of me and others that sign up for his class. Good show!

If I were going to suggest a time, I would go with the previous day. Even that would be too late for some to adjust a schedule.

While teachers may see the problem as irresponsible behavior, I believe free/cheap classes (which I strongly support) encourage some students to believe that it really does not matter if they show up. I plan to spend a couple of minutes in future classes thanking everyone for showing up and mentioning problems caused by no show. This may be preaching to the choir but it does spread the word.

All I know is my father raised 8 sons. His mantra was, "All you really have it your word. " Without that you are nothing.

2 Likes

That and “beat 'em all till someone confesses!”
Just guessing… ( :wink: )

2 Likes

Got a text as well as an email this evening reminding me of the @jphelps Shapeoko class tomorrow. Is that part of the system or did Jay send it?

I like it!

1 Like

I think this is the texting Luke referred to here

Seems like maybe it’s operational now…

1 Like

We seldom lied as the punishment was doubled.
I say seldom…

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

2 Likes

What length is the blade on the big band saw?
I was thinking of doing some mesquite and the current blade is
acceptable but I could probably a better one to use.
Safety and speed are my main concerns. It will all be green wood
and just making billets for legs for the future.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

Holy thread drift, Batman!

7 Likes

Hi. You must be new here. Welcome to our Talk discussion forums.

3 Likes

I think it is actually 158”. Check with Laguna, I can’t remember but I think 142 was wrong

That sucks, because I just ordered one for myself a couple of days ago :frowning:

I just realized that post was before the space had the Laguna. We had the old grey saw which was 142”. I was referencing the Laguna saw that I owned in STL at the time. Now we own the same LT18 at the space.

Thread derail complete

2 Likes

Holy thread drift

as a mod I don’t even know where to begin on this one

2 Likes