Fishing License Requirements

I went to Lakeside Park in Duncanville to read. Before I was done feeding the ducks a man gave me a large (3 lb?) catfish! Now I’m motivated!

Do I need a license to fish from shore? If so, what is the cost?

Is it in state parks I can fish from shore without a license? I thought I could fish in Emerald (?) Lake by the Dallas Library on Mountain Creek without a license? I know they have free equipment to borrow at the library. (Who here remembers libraries?)

Know any catfish hotspots?

2 Likes

State Parks and most City parks you can fish from the shore without a license.

As far as catfish lake Eufala in Oklahoma is full of them… My record there is 88 pounds

2 Likes

State parks you don’t need it because the cost of admission is built in to it. However the state parks are currently closed (end of business today is when they close), I got the email this morning. If you are fishing say Lewisville lake you need it. If it’s a neighborhood pond or private pond, then no. There are a few ponds around that you need a license for. These are private property ponds.

You need to be careful because some ponds do require licenses. There is a website that you can check but I can’t find it at the moment

My record there is 88 pounds

Before proofreading I had “large 93 lb?) catfish!” Then I held the shift key down better.

How can I find out if I need a shore license specifically at Lakeside Park and Emerald Park?

Oklahoma, eh? Let’s go noodling!

TPWD Community Fishing - specifies species and sizes

That is the link.

1 Like

I tried, but I still can’t find an answer. Can I fish from shore without a license at Lakeside Park, Duncanville; Emerald Park, south Dallas; Fox Hollow Park, south Dallas?

If they are open tomorrow, they most likely require a license.

You are over the age of 16, you need a license (exception being the annual free fishing day 1st Saturday of June in the state of TexaS)

2 Likes

You can buy a fishing license online here. I believe that you (assuming you are a TX resident) is a “231”. Costs $30

2 Likes

I don’t fish(unless the frozen food isle isle counts) but if I’m not mistaken, fishing and hunting license fees are waived for disabled veterans in the state of Texas.
Gig Em

1 Like

From the FAQ for ratings >= 50%.

2 Likes

Thanks for that clarification!

Most everything is open here in Texoma land, I have a life time license for hunting and fishing through the Choctaw

one day pass’s too

Not sure if you’re planning on fishing for fun (i.e., catch and release) or fishing to eat, but if you plan to fish to eat, make sure you look up the heavy metal/mercury observations from the fish caught in whichever reservoir you plan to fish/eat from.

Also, check out the Texas Fishing Forum. They are a great group of folks over there (a tad bit conservative for my tastes, but good people who know their stuff).

I did look at their website, this park requires it. The City of Dallas parks were no luck in finding documentation

I think the city parks are included in the following statement since they are public land.

Official Texas Fishing Licenses and Endorsements

A valid fishing license with a freshwater or saltwater endorsement is required to take fish, mussels, clams, crayfish, or other aquatic life in the public waters of Texas.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/fishing-licenses-stamps-tags-packages

I also found where it is stated licenses are required on neighborhood fishing lakes in Texas. Click on neighborhood fishin regulation link.

1 Like

Dear lord they did not make this easy.

Someone told me I don’t need a license to fish in a state park. Is this true?

Visitors to Texas State Parks can fish without a license. The exemption applies to anglers of all ages, residents and non-residents. To take advantage of the exemption, you must be within the boundary of a State Park, which usually means fishing from the bank or a pier. For more information, see the Free Fishing in State Parks web pages.

Please note: Not all public recreation areas are State Parks. Look for the square green Texas Parks and Wildlife logo at the park entrance. If you are fishing in a park managed by a city, county, river authority, the corps of Engineers, or any other entity, you need a fishing license.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/fishboat/fish/index.phtml#license

With traffic fines way down and that revenue lost, you can bet “Catch and Ticket” anglers is in play.

1 Like

Just cough as you fish.

3 Likes