Fired Arts: New Rule, Personal Storage, Big Changes

So I have good news and…awesome news!

Good news first. A new rule and a couple of handy tools were discussed and approved at the November Committee Meeting. We will begin to implement these November 27th but I wanted to give folks a little extra time and a heads up about what is coming down the pipeline.

New Rule: Abandoned green, bisqued and glazed work left over 30 days will be disposed of.

(language change per advisement regarding DMS process, same end result)

You have probably noticed that our ware shelves are often very crowded. This new rule will set expectations for those that are participating in the community firings and allow us to correct ware shelf problems in a more consistent fashion. This only applies to the stages where further action is required of the creator, not when items are waiting to be fired. For any exceptions, you must contact the FA Chair or the Ceramics SIG Leader to have the item marked.

New Processes: After Thanksgiving we will have a log for In Progress Projects (Anything that falls outside of the above rule) and a Maker’s Mark Log. The Makers Mark Log will allow us to shoot you a message via the contact method of your choosing if there are any problems with your work or if that one pot has just slipped past your eagle eye. We want people to frolic home happily with their items while still giving us the ability to manage the space.

Awesome News!

Our FA Rehab project was funded at last night’s board meeting. While this may cause a little bit of shuffling in the coming months, it will result in a fabulous new work space. Every effort is going to be made to not disrupt the working surfaces, tools and kiln schedules leading up to December. There are presents to be made! But we will be starting Nov. 27 in shifting some of our existing stuff to make way for new tools and furniture.

Items affected:

Personal Storage - There will be signage up on November 27th for all personal storage to be removed by December 11th. (The boxes and bags on the back wall with clay, tools, glaze, etc.) If you are unable to come get your items by that time, please let me know and we can work something out. Once we are complete with the build, we will re-evaluate what space we have for renewable project storage.

Pottery and Glass Tools - These will be moving to the back wall shelves.

Dry Sink - The sink will be removed from the area. The maintenance closet across from Creative Arts can be used to bring clean water back to the space. Please put thick slip and clay chunks in the recycling bucket and pour the remaining water back into the sink when you are finished (the sink has a clay trap.)

While all of this is a bit of fuss, the end result should be a big improvement to the capabilities of the FA area. We will have more workspace, more tools and more organization. If you have any questions at all, please do let me know here, pm or email (available on the board in FA). I want to make this as easy and smooth as possible for everyone.

7 Likes