Fired Arts Dry Sink

I have never been a fan of the dry sink but was talked into giving it another try. We fixed it and posted rules for using the sink to see if it could be an asset to the area. Unfortunately it seems that some users are not following the rules and not helping us maintain a clean working environment.

I really want to get rid of the sink, standing water is dirty, unhealthy and gross. Does anyone want to convince me to keep it? Fair warning, I need a really good argument.

1 Like

Addition: Getting rid of this tomorrow unless convinced otherwise. Not trying to be indecisive, I just know there are people that use it. Giving one last chance to a tool.

1 Like

When I used the other day to get clean to throw with, it smelt horrible! The fresh water in the bucket gets stagnate. I vote ditch it, it’s a staff infection waiting to happen.

4 Likes

Maybe pick up a small bucket for a couple of dollars so that people can fill (and hopefully empty) a bucket if they need water? My husband can make vinyl for the bucket that says “Do not pour in sink.” I know people would still pour it in the sink anyway though assuming they empty it at all. I don’t use the dry sink so I don’t care what happens to it. Happy to help provide a small bucket if people think that would be useful.

Awesome offer, thank you!

We have plenty of buckets for people to fill with clean water from the maintenance closet. Buckets can be emptied into that sink as it has a clay trap. The old sink was from a time when we didn’t have a clay trap, I think.

2 Likes

Yes it was, I remember when Jony installed it He was so proud of his work on it

If you don’t have a clay trap, it’s vital! :slight_smile:

People need to be able to clean clay off their hands before leaving big dirty hand-prints on the door. You need a solution for that.

Just a thought, Perhaps remove the black bucket. They would need to use the clear new buckets to get water. Then dump their bucket at clean up.?

Shared Studio Tips:

I do the three bucket system with a trip to dump excess in the grass daily but that takes someone to go dump it out/fill it up on the regular-which can easily be taught and accomplished by users of the space. I don’t reuse grey water in my classroom.

Dryad is right, we need a way to clean up after working. The problem with emptying the black bucket as meanbaby suggests is that if there is more than one person working the bucket will be exactly like the sink, both people will assume it’s someone else’s job to empty it.
Having everyone bring their own bucket doesn’t work either.
That said, I’d be in favor of replacing the sink with a bucket with a lid. Being able to close the bucket before taking it across the space to dump would be very handy. It won’t solve the full sink problem but it will make it easier to deal with and safer to transport out of our area.

1 Like

Lots of good thoughts here. I like the three bucket method for keeping some usable water back in the space but apparently some people can’t throw out two inches of water, I really don’t see them handling large buckets. Hefting a large bucket into the janitor’s sink would be tricky and the only place to pour is out front, there is no place to pour in the back.

I’ve never had a problem with dirty hands. I fill a small bucket before I start and make whatever I’m making. I clean my hands and do a first pass on my tools with the water in my bucket. I then take my tools and bucket to the maintenance sink for final cleaning. If I’m throwing for a long time I might bring two small buckets, one for making, one for washing my hands.

At this point, I think we are going to need to go to a personal responsibility model where users need to bring their own water to the workshop and dispose of their water when finished. I’ll keep working on other solutions (there is also an effort to get water back to the workshop in the future) and see whether the personal responsibility model works out. I’ll also check out lidded buckets for water fetching.

A quick addendum:

I realized the way I phrased this makes it sound like I just want everyone to do this the way I do. There are lots of people who use clean, self-fetched water to clean up their workspace and until recently, the sink had sat broken/non-operational for many months.

I’m still all ears for an alternative, doubly so if someone is interested in taking ownership of the solution/monitoring the maintenance/making it happen.

I realize it is a ridiculous suggestion, or more accurately the fact that the suggestion is potentially a reasonable solution for a group of adults is ridiculous, but what about a easily-rigged motion detector plus speaker at/near the bucket station that, instead of flushing a toilet or making a fish-on-a-plaque sing and dance, just says “please make sure to empty this bucket and refresh with clean water…this means YOU”

1 Like

I have usually toted my own water. I get a bucket with a handle full for my hands then clean up, then a small cup for working with. Last week was the first time I puled a bowl of water from the makeshift sink and boy it stinky stunk

I still think there maybe a health issue here from standing water. I’m going to tote my own fresh water.

1 Like

cmcooper0,
Appreciate your addendum.

You have to understand that not all of us are skilled potters. In fact most of us are just beginners. The space needs to support everyone, and asking beginners and hobbyists to do all the cleaning steps individually is going to discourage them from involvement in fired arts. It’s not that they will not or should not, its that you are unintentionally setting up an unfriendly environment. I am not saying this to be difficult, this is actually something I do for a living, I design retail experiences. Based on my experience the best solution to support the community would be a community sink that can be sealed for transport when it’s full. Some easy rules that would help the experienced potters get new potters in the habit of cleaning would be:
1 - Empty the bucket every time you have a class (and tell the class why you do it)
2 - Empty the bucket every time you run a bisque kiln. (if you just had a batch of greenware go in then the water is probably dirty.)

Prior to your tenure as chair I was more involved in the maintenance of our space and have fixed and emptied the sink many times. My current work schedule doesn’t allow it now, but if my schedule in the coming year allows it I’d be glad to assemble a better system.

1 Like

That would be hilarious, unfortunately the area is so high traffic that it would drive people nuts. Maybe we rig a one armed bandit pull to pump the water and if you hit the jackpot then it’s your turn.

1 Like

There are sinks that have foot pumps. You put water in them and pump it with your foot.

1 Like

So did the old one. And it sat forever