Fired Arts Clean-Up Project

Hey fellow makers, Shirley and I are relatively new to DMS but old hat at Ceramics. We’ve got a chunk of time to throw towards cleaning up the Fired Arts area and get the dust knocked back for a while. Depending on your degree of alarmism, ceramics dust is somewhere between not particularly good for you and terror! silicosis causing quartz particles penetrating the air pockets in your lungs! Regardless of where we all fall on that scale, FA certainly needs a good scrub down for health, better glazing (dust on bisque can cause issues) and for us to keep up with the DMS Be Excellent ethos.

Since we are newish, we wanted to put up our stage 1 in case there is a problem or issue. Let us know! We will need to move some personal items (clay shelf, not tackling green/bisque shelves…yet. grin) to clean under and around, so if you want us to keep our mitts off your stuff, just leave a comment or drop me a note and we’ll work around it.

Tuesday, May 30 (Proposed) FA Snazzifying Plan

1. Wheels and surrounding area: clean all, floor, check wheels for technical issues

2. Work Table and Slab Roller: clean, figure out what all is underneath table, move all plaster molds to one place (?), clean and fix the plastic box thingy

3. Clay storage shelves: take everything off and clean shelves (will keep a person’s clay/box on the same shelf as it is currently on, may shift to r/l), try to identify any unlabeled boxes, contact people whose boxes have 3+ months past dates on them (just so we can determine if still active and update their label), vaguely organize anything on shelf that isn’t personal clay

4. Sponge bucket shelf: re-clean it, bat eyes at folks to please clean items that you use so it lasts more than one week

5. Slaking buckets: move them and get all the spilled clay off the floor, contemplate a method to make this area neater - it’s a tough one to manage

6. Glaze shelves: general tidying

7. Survey the remaining area and consider Phase Two

Please do weigh in if you see an issue with our plan. We are also going to try and get this done during the day so we will cause the least amount of interference.

Studio/Workshop cleanliness is always an ongoing effort and we are going to throw some elbow grease at it this Tuesday, May 30th, wish us luck!

Chris
[email protected] : 817.832.2089

5 Likes

Underneath the work table is another work table and the plastic drawer unit for storing clean towels. Also down there was a large plaster slab for working/recycling clay, but I think it’s been wandering around a bit.

2 Likes

That’s awesome of you to lay out your plan and commit your time to improve the space! Kudos to you and Shirley for being such fine new members!! :slight_smile:

Might I suggest that you request being added to @Team_Fired_Arts if you’re interested in helping maintain the committee area? It just means you’ll get notifications here on Talk if someone has a question or issue related to the Fired Arts.

1 Like