Fire in Fired Arts!

Sensationalistic title for the win! Now look at our cool photos…

Fired Arts rang in July with fire! We took a trip offsite to do a raku firing at a local potter’s home and did both western glazed style and tried something new with obvara, a Baltic method that uses a mix of yeast/flour/sugar/water. Big thanks to Conor Muldoon for hosting us, you can check out his work at: http://mudman-studios.com

Western Raku:

Obvara:

Those are my best action shots where no one in the background looked derpy (including myself because apparently my ‘don’t get a lungful of smoke’ face is…special), we had a lot of people snagging good photos, please add yours to the thread!

Next up: Pottery Glamour Shots

14 Likes

By: @JasonM314

By: @ladysandry

By: @cmcooper0

We also had awesome pottery from: @Anette_Henningson, @madisonworthington, @Shirley and @brendamvilla. When you pull your pieces out of the reduction chambers (fancy term for metal garbage can!), they still have a lot of carbon on them. Everyone took their pieces home to clean up and I can’t wait to see photos of y’all’s work. Post ‘em if you got ‘em!

14 Likes

Just beautiful! ,!!!

1 Like

Thank you, this was tons of fun. Here are a couple of action shots, and the jewelry stand from Beth’s throwing class, with new fancy raku cobalt treatment.

4 Likes

3 Likes

7 Likes

Can I post these pictures to our Facebook page?

2 Likes

Absolutely for any of mine. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yep mine too. Letters and words and such

1 Like

Looks so great!!!

2 Likes

The sensationalistic title worked! I looked!

Awesome photos and pieces! Congrats to all!

2 Likes

Any idea when you will be doing it again? I need to make some things for it

I LOVE the ones with copper! Any surprise there?

1 Like

Fall at the absolute earliest! lol Starting at night was a huge help but still so hot.

4 Likes

Any chance we could have our own raku kiln after expansion Likly outside
on Sun morning or on a Sat night

I normally hate click-bait, but this was totally worth it!

2 Likes

We talked about some low-smoke possibilities at the event. That’s probably the biggest hurdle, along with a lack of running water outside. Discussion continues!

Lack of outside water really makes this a questionable thing. We could perhaps get by with fire extinguishers and lots and lots of buckets, but we’d need to ask the landlord and we’d need to contact the Carrollton Fire Department. If I were the landlord, I know that I’d hesitate to say yes. But we could ask.

Unfortunately, we have a parking lot, not a yard, and we don’t own the property. I fully support the expansion decisions that we’ve made, but continuing to not have an outside space that we fully control was one thing that we traded for the convenience of staying where we are.

You can find reusable water based fire extinguishers that you fill with water and pressurize with shop air. It’s what we use for fireworks shows.

EDIT: This is what they look like:

3YWG4_AS01

And a link to buy them.

SHHhhhhh, you can also put chocolate ice cream base in them too.

5 Likes

I didn’t know I needed one of these until now…

1 Like

The antique store in Lewisville (business 121 & 35) had 1 for 40$. I saw it yesterday.

1 Like