Find the coil packs

Underneath the highlighted caps??

Keep going, you are halfway done.

Car is British, so they may still be sitting on factory floor next to the empty bottles of Bitters.

6 Likes

This is the kind of thing VW put a stop to when they took over Bentley…

But more to the point…
Who cares? The family has a man for that sort of thing. Now fetch the Grey Poupon!
There’s a good lad.

2 Likes

I figured one coil per pair of cylinders

Some Hemi V8s have 2 plugs/coils per cylinder (i.e. 16 alltogether). But is it possible to have 1 plug/coil per 2 cylinders (i.e shared)? Serious question…could that eve work? Has anyone designed/built an engine like that?

To OP, I see three wires together on left side of pic, two from coils you identified. I’m assuming the third leads to another hidden behind hose. So that 5. Hooray!

I also found a hidden picture of a squirrel, a bird, a kitten, and Goofus and Gallant.

3 Likes

Sure several fords and gm product fire two cylinders, just one of the two is on the power stroke, the other is on the exhaust stroke

3 Likes

Yes. Many manufacturers have.
Here’s a write about at least 1.

note in the lead pic, 6 cylinders, 3 coils, 3 wires. The right 3 cylinders (for our perspective) have the coils mounted directly onto them, and each has a wire run to its paired cylinder further down the row.

Most folks don’t know that this type of coil actually fires both sides at the same time, in reverse polarity. This is what’s known as “waste spark”, because the weak-side spark happens during the exhaust stroke and is hence, wasted. So yeah, each of those coils fires 2 cylinders at the same time every 360 degrees of crank rotation, and each cylinder in the pair gets “proper polarity” on every other firing.

EDIT: this almost certainly does a better job of explaining than I…

3 Likes

I think I found 7 of 8:

3 Likes

If WTF is coil packs, then that similar thing on the left should also be coil packs.

1 Like

This is the correct answer :laughing:

1 Like

Germans & other Euros love COP (coil-on-plug) setups… get a kettle on, it’s gonna be a few hours to get to the valve covers.

2 Likes

I thought this would help more than it did…

2 Likes

This one wasn’t helpful at all, but in for a penny, in for a pound…

1 Like

You Sir are the winner!

2 Likes

This is a coil pack from a 1978 Suzuki GS750. They’ve been running 2 cylinders on one coil for years.

1 Like

Waste spark is not new.

One thing “good” about threads like this - it brings the question people and answer people to Automotive!

Russell, I didn’t know Suzuki used plywood as a mounting base in 1978!

4 Likes

It looks like it gets terrible MPG. And not sure that ignition switch is Gubmint approved, either.

1 Like