Finally figured out how to cut directly from Inkscape!

I’ve been trying (on and off) for years to find a solution that let me cut directly from a vector program. I assumed that I needed to either learn a ton about Linux or deal with poorly written software.

I almost considered shelling out for some expensive software, but after a couple of days of reading about Inkscape I found out that I needed to add a python library to Inkscape to let me communicate directly with my cutter.

No longer am I a slave to Sign Blazer Express (good riddance to that buggy abandonware junk!)

HUGE thanks to the New Haven makerspace for figuring this out and then sharing the information!

http://www.makehaven.org/i/423

12 Likes

Would this work on another brand? I have a Pazzles that’s a glorious little desktop plotter as far as desktop plotters go but the SOB won’t run without the software and I lost the CD. This seems like it’d be a better solution than ripping it up for parts on the cnc as planned

So, as an update to my original post…

This method of cutting is not nearly as efficient as using SBE. Not only were the paths not optimized but more complex cuts just failed.
I didn’t do much troubleshooting, but as soon as I figured out one glitch I would find another one depending on the vector input.

I don’t know any python, so I was not able to troubleshoot with any precision. :frowning:

to answer your question @MrsMoose if you want to give it a go you’re going to have to download the drives for your Pazzles, then download the python library…

"Grab the Zip (not exe) at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyserial

Then unzip it and dig into the directory for the serial folder and add it here to Program FIles> Inkscape > python > Lib (in Windows)

Then restart Inkscape."

You also need to figure out which com port your cutter is on (open device manager and then plug it in, note which device appears, and it’s com port is listed somewhere)

I’ll have to try that in the morning

I have a Cricut Expression with custom firmware that cuts from Inkscape.
:slight_smile:

As long as the machine understands hpgl it should work…

Here is how i do it

http://www.thetazzbot.com/2015/02/16/using-inkscape-with-an-hpgl-craft-cutter/

1 Like

How do the capabilities of the Cricut compare with the vinyl cutter we have here? Can it cut finer details? Can it handle a wider range of materials?

I dont know. The cricut is a craft cutter not a vinyl cutter cutting from a continuous roll. I was not suggesting it for anything…merely pointing out inkscape can talk hpgl.

1 Like

Regarding Cricut. It can cut thicker materials than the vinyl cutter, but is limited to a narrow piece of material due to its size.

We actually have both a Cricut and a Silhouette in Creative Arts. I believe there is a chance we might be getting rid of the Cricut in the near future though.

There are tons of comparisons between the cricut vs silhouette online. It seems like a mixed bag. Mostly depending upon how one needs to use them…

The Cricut we have is a smaller, older version. It does not handle the newer Cricut software and has less file format flexibility.

@thetazzbot
Hello! I’m glad I stumbled on your comments here. Do you know if there is any way to use inkspace with an unmodified cricut expression?

My daughter would like to cut her own designs to make kisscut stickers and I would love to be able to use my $300 paperweight without having to purchase additional software. I’m not very tech savvy and have not found much direction online.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

@Hanaan_Osman

I’m sorry to say that the Expression/Expression 2 are no longer supported by Cricut. They cannot use the current software, Design Space. The software that did support them, Craft room, has been discontinued.

That’s pretty cruel on the part of Cricut.

The Expression was designed to do a lot of work, if not all of it, without a computer. It can use cartridges with images and shapes. These cartridges are probably avail on eBay for little cash.

3 Likes

John - you continue to amaze me with the breadth and diversity of your maker-related knowledge! Thanks for sharing the info.

2 Likes

Thank you @talkers. That what I was afraid of. I have several cartridges but was really hoping for a way to be able to use our own designs - very disappointed in Cricut!

Appreciate your response!

1 Like

While I have successfully adapted some custom firmware for the Cricut to use hpgl or gcode, it takes some technical chops to get it compiled and installed, and I’m no longer supporting it.

cheers

1 Like

i just got my wife an early mothers day gift (cameo 4) so her cricut with the screen and DOZENS of cartridges is available if theres an option to pay for the modification?

This is a solvable problem:
http://www.pazzles.net/store/Pazzles-InVue-Software-IVS-DD.html

1 Like