Filming Copperplate Etching Process for a Documentary

I’m currently trying to locate someone in the DFW area that produces copperplate etchings. I’m not looking to commission anything, rather, I’m looking for someone with the knowledge/equipment to demonstrate the process for a documentary. The process is obviously a bit out of favor with commercial printers, what with any and every development under the sun in the world of printing since the 16th century, but there has to be someone in DFW that is either an artisan or hobbyist working with it. No commercial printers in DFW that I’ve inquired with have been able to recall anyone still working with it in the last 10-15 years, so I’m thinking one-off individuals may be the only folks left that I might have a shot with.

If anyone produces copperplate etchings (and possibly aquatints) or knows someone who does, please let me know! I am extremely grateful for any and all support anyone might be able to offer.

Thank you,
Will

I wonder if @Hardsuit might know anyone working with that process…

And, I’ll try to remember tonight when I can get on Facebook. Scribal Arts does a number of archaic processes. He usually works in older technology, but he might know someone doing copperplate etching.

2 Likes

You might also try contacting the Arts Department at Brookhaven Community College. I want to say I remember folks doing copperplate several (5+) years ago.

2 Likes

Call up Paper Arts in Deep Ellum and ask them for possible contact info. They’re one of the main brick and mortar suppliers for fine art printing paper in the DFW area, and also have rentable studio/printing press time for artisan printing.

I did acid etching and aquatint years ago in college, but not specifically copperplate.

4 Likes

Thank you all!

I’ll give the art chair at Brookhaven a call in the morning and Paper Arts shortly thereafter. Side note - I was unaware of Paper Arts’ existence; that they are an artisan printer is of tremendous value to other aspects of what I’m working on with this documentary.

As far as Scribal Arts, though, I’m unfamiliar with them. Are they a DFW-based artist/artists?

Yes. Lucas lives over in the Ft Worth area. He does Scarborough Fair, and North Texas Irish Festival, plus likely a few other small shows here and there. I know he’s got a FB page for the business, and he may have a web site as well.

I tightened up my google search with his name, and got this:

https://www.scribalworkshop.com/our-family

1 Like

Oh sweet! Thank you so much - I’ll reach out there as well!

Paper Arts was a bullseye - thank you so much! Stopping by for a visit this weekend, but Terri (the owner) has already pointed me in the right direction and is digging up some other contact info for me.

4 Likes