Filiment stuck in extruder 12/6/2020

Hello,

I was printing last night and when removing the filament some of it got stuck in the extruder. It’s the one all the way on the right. I didn’t want to try too hard to get it out for fear of breaking something.

Please let me know what (if anything) I can do to help or prevent this from happening again.

2 Likes

I’ll fix it next time I’m in unless someone from @Team_3D_Fab grabs it first.

To help prevent it in the future, make sure the extruder is still hot when pulling your filament out.

3 Likes

Presuming you had no issues during printing, the hot end not being up to temp is the most likely reason.

I recently had a print fail (at home) with the extruder skipping. Hot end was reporting to temperature, attempting to unload, the extruder could not pull it out of the hot end. I eventually did manage to pull it out. I cut a few inches off and loaded it back up with no further extrusion problems. I was using clear PETG, and did not see any foreign objects in the pulled end. All I have guessed is that maybe the filament had a pellet of foreign plastic in the extruder feed, with a higher melt point that didn’t melt through the hot end.

1 Like

@Team_3D_Fab

Cool, I’ll make sure hotend is still at full temperature.

Thank you @skyspook, I’ll make sure it’s still at full temperature next time.