Felder & Multicam Discussion (Split)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You could’ve stopped there. Or just not posted.

5 Likes

Yup. :blankspace:

2 Likes

In the same words as you once worded it to me” you’ve learned a lot in your some odd 70 trips around the sun” and you defiantly don’t have to even say a word for people to understand that your points are very level headed, always backed with facts, and plans of actions! You’re seriously not only a gem of Dms but society! Hope to see you around the shop sometime soon!

Except perhaps when surfacing spoilboards, the CNC doesn’t generate any more sawdust than any of the other large tools in the shop and it certainly doesn’t “clog” the Felder. I cut a 4x8 sheet of 4mm plywood into parts and had to laugh when I checked the shop vac to see if it needed to be emptied. There was about two cups of sawdust in it.

2 Likes

Matt, this is not correct. I have cut tons of MDF (literally tons) usually with a 1/4" bit, but sometimes larger. That wide kerf is a lot of sawdust. Surfacing a 1/2" off of a wide live edge slabs is an impressive amount as well.

Users who cut too slowly churn their chips into dust. MDF just simply makes dust. The Felder filters are reported to be clogging with fine dust. Doing something proactive to catch the majority of the fine dust from the CNC and the sanders is a worthwhile thing to pursue.

2 Likes

Bert,

Okay. Those are use-cases I’m not familiar with. I cut plywood, usually thin and with a 1/8” bit. But I’d still be surprised if the Multicam can compete with the planer or jointer on many jobs.

For sometime now the MultiCam has not be using the Felder. The orange foot is broken and users must chase the bit with the shop vac. Adding a trap between the MC and the Felder makes sense. We all know what a pain the Felder is to clean vs a shop vac.

You are aware of what fiber board means right? It’s the very finest particulate of wood, compressed to tether with resin and glue, hmmmmm the smaller particles with nice sticky glue and resins mixed in…Yea I don’t see how that would clog paper filters more than wood chips or sawdust…you are aware of what’s micron filters are and how the smaller the particulate going through and getting trapped is the fast it restricts and eventually stops flow right? If not I can google a couple diagrams and articles for yea real quick

If you’d bother to read, I said I cut plywood. Plywood is not fiberboard.

But however you did say it doesn’t generate more than any other tool, but when the majority of users are using fiberboard when they cnc I’d estimate close to 90% of cnc jobs are fiber board and that is where I think the filter clogging issue is coming from

Remember when you said you weren’t gonna post anymore n this thread? I do.

5 Likes

Yeah its not close to 90% using fiberboard.

From my perspective it is but again that’s only what I see I’m not saying I know exactly what it is but 9 times out of 10 job i see are particle so who know it may be significantly lower than that but even a few medium to big jobs on particle is enough to cause clogging in paper filters to where it’s builds static and has a cascading efffect drawing and holding it agaist the filter where as normal saw dust build static but not nearly the amount the extra fine side from particle does

@team_moderators maybe this thread needs to be split. The original subject was lubrication, but has been hijacked by @chris_fazio to talk about dust collection. Which is a valid topic, but off topic.