you have to go to EventBright to even see the cost

It would be really nice for the cost to be east to see

On the painting from the thrift store it says free in one
place but then $10 in a another. Its reasonable with
the thrift store painting being provided but it is
confusing, What if you bring a painting (I was intending
to go look for one)

I have seen this before, Now it is quire possible that I am
missing where the cost is with all the scrolling I have to do.
(constandt issure o web pages)

I’ve noticed this issue frequently on classes where they’re using eventbrite. You have to click through to that to see cost.

I’d suggest/request folks creating classes utilizing that, to please don’t forget to put the cost in the text of the class description as well so the info is all in one place.

3 Likes

I had the same problem with a jewelry class I took Monday. Showed up and had to surrender a credit card for $25. Not entirely excellent to be surprised like that…but I lived.

2 Likes

That being said, it clearly has Eventbrite on those events, inferring associated cost. That it HAS a cost shouldn’t be surprise.

The remaining question is only that if it doesn’t appear in the text description, clicking through to check cost would a good idea before committing.

3 Likes

I think that was actually a unique blip for the class I chose. I never saw the eventbrite info.

Screenshot from jewelry class registration page on Monday.

4 Likes

I’m going to push back one more time…she modified it during the class. I signed up using the DMS link at the time, not the Evenbrite link shown above. I know how the arrangement usually works. It didn’t for that class.

We all survived. But that particular set up was wonky on the calendar. I think all but two of the payments were made at the class of six. She wasn’t aware of how many people had signed up to attend and set up three or four extra stations. (@bitta and I talked about it all a few days ago.)

Also back to @Cairenn_Day’s initial point… there’s no cost provided.

It’s a great opportunity to figure out what went wrong and streamline it so that it doesn’t have a chance to happen again. There are known issues with Evenbrite integrating to the DMS calendaring.

What I can’t figure out: if I can sign up and pay through DMS for other classes (sandblasting an insulated coffee mug; woodshop training), why have the Eventbrite integration at all?

I know. That’s already another thread.

There are other threads, member meetings, board meetings and headaches…lots of headaches.

There is no one catch all solution and is a compromise.

Finance doesn’t want to deal with paying instructors (outside of honorariums) and some instructors want to get paid for their time. The other reason is that sometimes instructors sell materials they may already have. In order to get reimbursed for materials you need to have a receipt. There are things about self dealing and this is the avenue we are using to minimize/eliminate it.

Things like the tumbler class all the materials are bought with committee funds. Then when the class is taught all those fees just go straight to the committee.

There are a bunch of situations that we couldn’t solve otherwise. Hope that is clear as mud.

6 Likes

Several points:

You CAN’T change certain details like cost with eventbrite after class is entered in calendar system. I happen to specifically know this class had that setup because I looked at it when it appeared on calendar and noted cost.

If eventbrite is listed as the way the costs for the class is being covered, as direct payment for instructor, you go there. Alex covered why some instructors use this option.

The way the system is set up, it’s possible that folks sign up for class as normal below and neglect to go pay the eventbrite fee, which sounds like what happened in this case. If this seems to be an ongoing issue, instructors that regularly use this might consider adding more details near top of description to avoid confusion.

That being said, the eventbrite stuff is RIGHT THERE at the top, and was from the time the class was entered, so kinda hard to miss.

4 Likes

And the system worked just fine. YOU just didn’t follow instructions.

5 Likes

To add to Alex’s comments. If the instructor runs it through DMS and we pay them, everything goes onto the 1099-Misc issued by DMS. The instructor will have to do all the cost-of-materials and net income and sales tax on their tax returns. We aren’t be to do their accounting work.

Most instructors voiced a preference for doing it this way. There are so many various classes and types and quantities of materials there really was no way to do it effeciently/

I do agree, that in the cost field, the cost should be listed without going to the Eventbrite page.

1 Like

We’re going to agree to disagree. Several (3 or 4) people attended the class under regular signup not knowing there was a fee. One left because there was a fee. I chose to stay and pay it. If it had been RIGHT THERE at the top as you say, I don’t think there would have been so many surprised. It’s at the bottom. I wasn’t the only one that failed to follow instructions. That might be an indication the instructions aren’t clear.

She said she modified the event at the beginning of class to allow for the eventbrite payment. In the end, she just swiped my credit card with her PayPal account. What she did, exactly, I do not know.

There’s absolutely no need to be anything less than excellent about this one, @kyrithia. Especially since you did not attend that class and observe the mixup.

1 Like

You can disagree all you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that the calendar events only allow for certain kinds of edits. (I know, I know … I wasn’t there, yadda yadda,…)

Take your own advice, thanks. Jeannie is a very dear friend and has never been less than excellent to anyone. Maybe something does need tweaked with the calendar so that the eventbrite part can be emphasized, but that does not excuse you getting snippy and taking everything as a personal insult.

6 Likes

I agree with @kyrithia. I took the Jewelry soldering class in February with Anne and it was exactly the same set up. The eventbrite stuff was listed on the event page RIGHT THERE… Got to read it though AND click on the website to pay.

4 Likes

LOL, i swear folks complain over the smallest of things…Next time on the class title do this, THIS CLASS AINT FREE - How to Knit Mittens - $15 whopping dollars, That’s right people 15 abe lincolns, 15 bucks…

15 of these

And i promise you someone will walk up and say uh didnt know we had to pay…just pay the fee and move on, your getting knowledge that’s all that matters. Those that walk off oh well, no mittens for you…

9 Likes

I thought this class was about creating clothing for kittens. :frowning:

1 Like

Is there a reason that the cost for an Eventbright class can t
be listed without going to Evenrbriight? We have had some
that were $75, that is a bot in my budget, Some are $10, that one I don t have
to think about as much,

I have another question, it might should be in a new thread, When a
class it an Eventbright class, does the committed get any money
for it?

The only fee the current application is designed to show under ‘fee’ are those that go to DMS. If a teacher chooses to use Eventbrite it is because they are personally receiving the fee. For a variety of reasons, this needs to occur complete outside of DMS involvement. It really is up to the teachers using Eventbrite to make it clear to the prospective students about the fee and what it is.

It also behooves those prospective students to pay attention to any potential fees and look at the details before signing up for the class.

There’s a place for a description. Couldn’t that be the first few characters?

ex: “Fee of $25 through Evenbrite, link below.”

1 Like

Maybe. Just maybe you should take that up with the instructor, as that was mentioned here:

1 Like