February 2018 Kiln News

I loaded a glaze kiln yesterday. Got all the items on the shelf loaded. I should be unloading that Friday evening.

Current plan is to load bisque as soon as I unload the glaze. The shelves look pretty full, and most pieces have probably been there long enough to be bone-dry. Depending on how much I get in, I may load another bisque kiln when that finishes.

The last class’ pieces will be in this bisque, and I’m planning on them glazing next Thursday, so I’ll probably run another glaze kiln next Friday.

3 Likes

The glaze kiln is unloaded. It was a smidge late, and I’ve got to be at work at 9am, so I’ll load bisque Saturday pm.

Most pieces were on cookies since y’all mostly glaze much too close to the foot of your pieces for mid-fire (Cone 6). Now, you may know your glazes don’t move, but the kiln crew doesn’t trust that.

4 Likes

Loaded the big kiln with bisque. There were several pieces left over, so I’ll probably load the smaller kiln soon-ish so that everything gets fired this week.

Unloaded the bisque yesterday. The plan is to load the remainder of the greenware tonight. It always seems to be a choice. I can load the stuff that was left out last time, but there are a couple of new pieces that are too damp. But then, we could always be waiting for One More Piece to be dry enough.

So – loading up the dry pieces tonight.

And – there’s quite a bit of fresh bisque for y’all to come and glaze. There was only 1 piece glazed last night.

1 Like

Finally loaded the bisque again yesterday. I loaded everything except the guy with the hat. The kiln was just a bit too full for him. Plus, I’d be happier giving him a bit more time to thoroughly, thoroughly dry.

I will load glaze Monday regardless of the quantity. Several people from the last handbuilding class glazed their pieces last night, and they’ve been promised their pieces by next Thursday. So – your stuff could be in that kiln if you just get it glazed!

2 Likes

Got the bisque kiln unloaded. If you’re looking for pieces, one really big shallow bowl wound up back over on the greenware shelf because there wasn’t room on the bisque shelf. Plus a medium bowl, on top of the big bowl.

2 Likes

Glaze is unloaded - lots of very beautiful items!
The cookie stuck on a couple of the speckle clay body items. I believe they will bump off easy.
1 item has bubbles, looks like glaze was a little heavy. A re-fire may resolve the bubbles.
I hope you have an amazing weekend!
Anita

3 Likes

Bisque is unloaded. Shelves are full of bisque and glazed items. Please come by and pick up your stuff.

3 Likes

Loaded up a bisque kiln yesterday. It was just started to cool down today when I looked at it at about 1pm today.

I got slightly over 1/2 of the stuff that was on the greenware shelves loaded. So – as soon as this kiln is finished, I’ll load another bisque. So far there isn’t much glazed ware ready, so that should be able to wait.

2 Likes

Bisque unloaded. Lots of stuff to be glazed!

1 Like

I took your throwing class. Are you doing the glazing class on Thursday, March 1? or on March 8?

We’re going to need to do it 3/8. Although, if you see me in the common room, your stuff is already bisque and we could run back and do it.

I’ve changed my mind. I’ll make sure I’m back at the Space by 7, so we can go ahead and glaze tomorrow (Thursday 3/2). If I’ve thrown you off by the change, we can go back to – find me in the common room (not this weekend), and we’ll go then.
@mblatz – I’ve decided to go with this Thursday after all.

And – I’ve loaded up the bisque kiln again. There were a few pieces that were new since I last loaded, and they weren’t dry enough to go in. Otherwise, everything got loaded.

I’m going to try to get there. My husband has a late dentist appt that might interfere with tonight.

1 Like

Glaze load unloaded. A lot of the pieces did not have a 1/4 dry foot. A couple stuck to the cookie they should tap off or grind off.

1 Like