Favorite Makers of Youtube!

Going through my daily Youtube subscriptions today, I started thinking about how many of the channels I watch are Makers of various skills and areas. Looking through the list of who all I’m subscribed to really surprised me, because there’s A LOT!

So I thought I’d throw out this thread and share some of the makers on Youtube that I watch, enjoy videos of, and who I think help inspire me to learn more and to want create different projects.

I’ve categorized them here with a small little blurb about what they do and what they focus on, and wanted to share these awesome channels with everyone so that you might watch some videos and feel that inspiration as well!

Please feel free to add in your own favorite Youtube Makers to this listl!

Blacksmithing and Metalwork:

I can’t start off this category without mentioning my favorite weekly channel: AWE me
Most notably for their Monday show MAN AT ARMS, but also for their DIY Pop/Costume Shop series as well.
I’m sure many of you have heard of MAN AT ARMS for their wonderful blacksmithing recreations of weapons and armor from all kinds of popular media sources: Comics, Books, Movies, Anime, Videogames and more! One of the first things about DMS that caught my attention was the CNC Plasma Cutter and I would have never have known what that was without seeing one in action on this channel!

Next up we have one of the newest contenders for my favorite series: Alec Steele
Alec is a 19yr old UK Blacksmith and he has caught my attention over the last few weeks with his wonderful nearly daily episodes and his personality and sheer love of his craft. This kid dropped out of school to start his own blacksmithing shop and has become a massive success solely by his constant content and bright personality. If you ever want to learn about how to forge Damascus steel, Alec is the person to watch! He’s focused so well on it and learned so much about it that he’s made patterns out of both the US and UK flags on some of this metal! Highly recommend this channel if you have any interest in anything in #metal-shop !

Third in this category we have ZNA Productions
Eli focuses on more practical solutions for weapons and armor if we were in a post-apocalyptic environment. This one may not be one for the kiddies to enjoy, but Eli’s editing style and pure enjoyment out of his creations are well worth it. If you’ve ever pondered how to make something crazy out of random stuff lying around, this is the channel to guide you on how to do it!

Lastly for this category but certainly not least! We come to: This Old Tony
This is a channel for anyone wanting to learn more about being a machinist! Tony offers great knowledge about Lathes, CNC machining, Welding, Milling, and more! One of the videos he’s done that I’d have never have thought of originally is about making a perfectly square piece of stock, and how hard it actually is! His videos are both fun to watch and highly informational into some of the specifics of machining. Certainly recommended to any of our #machine-shop members!

Woodworking:

I’ve only got 2 real contenders in this category but both are great for anyone wanting to know more about using a woodshop.

First is Nick Zammeti NZ Woodturning
If you want to do anything on the lathes, this is one of the best channels to watch! Nick has a very fun channel and he turns anything and everything he can think of into crazy and very interesting creations.

Secondly we have The Samurai Carpenter
If you want to know how to do ANYTHING in #woodshop this is the channel for you my friends! Jesse is a wonderful carpenter and a highly exquisite craftsman. This man can work magic with wood and is great at sharing exactly how to do many of the wonderful things he builds. Seriously, check out this channel. If Alec Steele is my most recommended metal work channel, Samurai is evenly as recommended for any aspiring woodworkers!

Inventing/Prototyping

If there’s any channels that I would outright call a MAKER channel it’s these 2. These channels incorporate many general areas that DMS follows that I couldn’t keep them in one specific category. I’m talking of course about Colinfurze and The Hacksmith

Colin is the epitome of the crazy inventor. The man comes up with so many fun and insane ideas that it’s just glorious. From souped up Mobility scooters, to crafting an actual functional hover bike, to building the world’s fastest toilet. This creator is certainly one to watch, even if not for ideas, but just for the straight out entertainment!

The Hacksmith is much more focused with making fictional gadgets and inventions come to life, from Captain Americas shield to Batman’s Grapple-hook/wench, The Hacksmith will tackle it all! One of his biggest projects he’s working on is trying to fly like Ironman. Definitely worth a look!

This post is getting kinda long, so I’ll call it a wrap for now. But I also have channels for Automotive, RC, and even Game Programing to share further down the line if this topic takes off!
I highly reccomend you check out these wonderful channels, and feel free to share your own favorite makers on Youtube!

4 Likes