Exporting DXF from Fusion 360 (or Inventor)

Since the topic was raised at the CNC Plasma training, here’s how to export a flat DXF which can then be imported into PlasmaCAM for cutting:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/tip-tuesday-making-it-real-exporting-dxf-and-stl-from-fusion-360/

TL;DR: Right click on a Sketch, save as DXF

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, but I think they need to create a bridge video (I have suggested it to them) between the approach in that link and the basic design process they used in this one Designing Laser Cut Joinery in Fusion 360

In the latter, there really isn’t sketches that represent the entire side pieces that need to be cut…

1 Like

Make a sketch and project the geometry (I forget the term use in the software for this)

For the box with all the joints, in something like Solidworks or Inventor, you’d probably create an assembly used for layout only and do a drawing of that assembly. I did this for personal storage and created a “cutting assembly” which mated instances of the parts to a part that was a 4’x8’ sheet.

Fusion confuses me a bit because unlike its predecessors, there is no separate file types for parts or assemblies. Parts and assemblies are seemingly all in the same file (and potentially imported from other projects in the cloud etc.). I haven’t messed with it in a while, but I don’t know if it has dedicated “drawings” (not to be confused with constrained sketches).

Confuses me a lot, which is why I’m still stuck on Inventor. :slight_smile:

Man thanks for putting this out there.