Expiration of term for Directors

2 Likes

1 Like

Can someone volunteer to pin Kris’ post globally that has the new election dates near the post that has the incorrect info in it now? I tried to volunteer to do it earlier but I realized I am not at the space nor do I seem to be able to volunteer my way into doing it remotely.

1 Like

“They shall not hold a term of office for more than one year” . . . and if they do, then they’ve violated a bylaw for which there is no real remedy other than finger-pointing and whining. This sentence doesn’t say that their term expires; just that they shall not do it.

2 Likes

Welp, looks like it was pinned earlier or something. Did not see it an hour ago but suddenly it shows it was pinned yesterday. Who knows? I’ll volunteer myself out now.

but, but, but… the bylaws are sacred writings. there can be zero deviation even if it makes perfectly good sense or does not explicitly lay out how the day to day operations will happen. they must be wielded as a bludgeon if someone disagrees with you or to support your own agenda.

1 Like

A sauce for the goose is a sauce for the gander.

Russell Ward

3 Likes

The harassment policy does not allow goosing ganders…

3 Likes

How about gandering gooses?

Russell Ward

1 Like

We geese do not, in the slightest, appreciate being gandered, unless by mutual consent. Just so ya’ know…

8 Likes

4 Likes

shudders

1 Like

No gods no masters.

2 Likes

That sentiment is short sighted, reactionary, and terribly entitled. Do you really think that the value of someone to DMS is only their momentary donation? Well, I have news for you, without the volunteers DMS would evaporate. You know that post about the place being a mess? That’s a direct result of too many customers and not enough volunteers.

Somewhere along the timeline the do-ocracy mantra was dropped, and it really needs to come back. Those who do have the highest value as without them it wouldn’t get done.

I have no delusions about my past, present, or future value. For a while I was just a customer, now I volunteer a bit, and eventually I’ll go back to customer. At some point i may volunteer more. I completely understand that my value will wax and wane with volunteership. The monthly fee? That’s a cover charge to get in the door.

I’ve spoke at length with @heyheymama about DMS’s culture, and she expressed that using the verbiage “member run” rather than “volunteer run” would help reinforce that the membership is responsible for keeping DMS responsible. I agree with every part of that, except that I don’t think that the change in wording alone goes far enough. However, I think that both @heyheymama and I agree that there has been a lack of responsibility undertaken by a large portion of the membership over the work done at DMS, and the sentiment you’ve expressed is a good reflection of that phenomenon.

If I could, I probably wouldn’t, but not oh boy do I think DMS would be a better place, culturally, if volunteering was required for full privileges.

Am I in the minority here? Yeah, probably. But just like there are fewer haves than have nots, there are fewer dos than does not.

3 Likes

there is only Zod! :grin:

Up won’t suddenly become down. But the authorities will have easy cause to scrutinize any actions taken thereafter. I don’t know how that will shake out, but I personally wouldn’t want to be relying on prosecutorial discretion.

Some just want to opine and voluntell; some seem to want members to become quasi-indentured servants to the organization. Some can volunteer but won’t; some can’t because of Real Life™.

Between the broad extremes of “I pay the same dues as everyone else thus my opinion holds the same value” and “you don’t spend >12 hours a day at DMS thus your opinions are meaningless” is some reasonable middle ground lost in this bit of DMS culture war.

Similar, but past volunteering at DMS now seems heavily discounted. I wouldn’t expect former volunteers bestowed with fancy plaques, hagiography, a lifetime pass, nor implicit voluntell powers. But some acknowledgement that they did more than paid dues and that their thoughts likely come from relevant experience seems appropriate.

An impartial means to track and incentivize volunteerism at DMS would be an interesting experiment that has great potential.

12 Likes

Well said. As a chair I always point out that should make me the head cheerleader for my committee. I try to publicly thank those that contribute to our well being and encouraged other chairs to do the same. Sometimes all that people want is a simple thank you or acknowledgement.

4 Likes

I haven’t been so ready for an election to be over since 2016.

12 Likes

I wholehearted agree and hope my post wasn’t interpreted otherwise. There is a sliding scale, and you have to pay your dues to be on that scale. But that doesn’t mean that those who do and those who don’t are equal.

I have a much more nuanced opinion on this. It hits especially close to home as @tapper accused me of showing inadequate difference to Ms. Rhodes.

Personally, I’m allergic to notoriety. I don’t even much care for the thanks that I’ve received for what I’ve done to help over in 102. I especially don’t want anyone to feel that their thoughts or ideas are less valuable than mine because I once volunteerd before.

My ideas, as everyone else’s, need to stand on their own legs. Someone being more or less experienced doesn’t make those ideas more or less wrong. To argue that someone’s idea is better or worse due to that person is either an ad hominem or an argument from authority; both highly fallacious.

If you think they should get continuous recognition, I wouldn’t disagree with that. My issue is that it’s not communicated very well. How was I supposed to know the accomplishments of Ms. Rhodes (not that I know now, either)? We don’t seem to keep much of our history alive past the oral tradition and BoD meeting minutes. Perhaps plaques in a “hall of heroes” is the best option.

I will say, however, that it’s complete hogwash to espouse that someone shouldn’t have a legitimate disagreement with them because of their past deeds.

I am on board 110%. The floated idea of not allowing committees to buy food for their volunteers was exactly opposite of that and my opposition to it was probably not loud enough.

1 Like

I’m not arguing for OG exceptionalism which will do bad bad things for the organization. I am however suggesting that if someone has done X in the pursuit of Y states that X was a bad plan, one might want to examine the details of that specific X in pursuit of that specific Y before continuing to argue for X.

Not inclined towards plaques myself and even dodged having my mugshot taken when I was Logistics Chair and on the Board (but perhaps I should not have?). I can appreciate the implied /s after “hall of heroes”, though.

DMS does forget its history, however. I’ve after all gotten my apparent wish of again being all but another anonymous member whenever I show up on Monetary. Much of that is absence combined with membership turnover. Our sparse written history also contributes. Should we have lists of past officers, chairs, advisers, contributors of note? A general philosophy of a committee, SIG, or Group? Writeups on lessons learned? Should such an initiative kick off, so much of this will be after-the-fact when the events have gone stale.

No argument.

Like so many things at DMS, the devil is in impartial administration of the idea.

Food has been beaten to death and back, so I’ll leave that subject alone.

2 Likes