Experience with Alibaba?

I have been looking at ordering things from batteries to electronics devices to chemicals. It’s frustrating with some obvious language barriers although I have had some correspondence that was in plain English.

My main concern is that a couple of vendors have asked something to the effect of “can this clear your customs?” Which makes it sound like a possible set up for scam. That is, most of what I’m inquiring about should have no problems. I’ve ordered Chinese stuff for years on ebay and I’ve never had anything not arrive - medications, tea, electronics, chemicals, non-FDA approved medical stuff. And now I’m having these vendors ask about “clearing customs” with stuff like battery chargers, batteries, etc. Hmmm.

Have you dealt with Alibaba and had any success or problems. Or other concerns I should have. I have not taken any steps to formalize a deal with anyone. Perhaps there is some sort of guarantee or escrow deal that I can opt into before finalizing a transaction.

There seem to be some good deals to be had. Pretty amazing. But maybe too good to be true.

I think you may have better luck with alibaba express.

Based on what your saying it sounds like your not looking at large quantity.

I have used both but ultimately you are relying on your supplier.

1 Like

I have done LOTS with AliExpress. Some good vendors. Some outright thieves.

Anything you order, count it and TEST it upon arrival. If something is 90% functional, tell them it is broken. The language barrier will not work in your favor and they will get away with doing nothing. I tried several times to get adjustments on invoices because of minor issues. No luck.

Returns will not be affordable. China ships to the US cheaply, up to 1 kilogram. Shipping back to China will be $50+. Generally kills profit margins.

Selling is a blood sport in China. If they can find away to cheat you, many will. Eyes open.

And I had some great vendors too. Not all bad.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for Aliexpress, but I bought some stuff off of Amazon from a Chinese vendor. It was very poor quality even though it was advertised as being a high quality. (It was just sandpaper, but the grit literally jumped off the paper when used)

I gave them a one star rating and wrote a scathing review online. I got an email from them asking me to rescind my bad review and offering to bribe me with another item from their inventory. I told them I would not rescind the review, although I would amend it to include the fact that their customer support wanted to make amends. They shipped me an item worth more than the original item.

Selling may be a bloodsport, but so are customer reviews. Embarrassing them, publishing your misfortune so that others can benefit are all great weapons in ensuring honesty in trading.

Thanks Steve for the advice. Chinese merchants are not the only ones who try to scam the consumer unfortunately,

1 Like

Interesting. Wow, just got onto aliexpress for a moment. Looks a lot like ‘ebay’ or a typical shopping site - buy now, add to cart. I may be able to start off with that.

Yeah, I think they use the language barrier to both cheat and protect themselves. I just can’t get a ‘straight’ answer about any sort of guarantee that my product will arrive or even the exact nature of the product. Even the ads are poorly worded and conflict with the product they sell. For example, an ad for a small, 12V ‘scroll’ refrigerant compressor that is clearly a piston compressor in the photo. And after 3 messages, they still seem confused about what my question is.

And I have a real interest in Li batteries, one of the biggest cheats from China. Don’t know if I could trust anything from there.

http://www.alibabafraud.com

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I last ordered something from Ali-baba/Ali Express, but I remember at the time there was a way to filter vendors by geographic location, so I screened out anyone beyond the reach of U.S. law. I can’t remember what that did to my final price, though…

Doesn’t US law stop at the nations boundaries?

Technically, no, e.g. treaties and such. But what I was indicating is that I screened out vendors that weren’t shipping from North America. I think eBay allows this as well.

I was satisfied with the transaction so I am not sure what I would have done or the outcome if there had been an issue. But I was comforted by the belief that the likelihood of there being an issue was reduced by choice of a vendor on the same continent and that such vendors probably understood that legal ramifications are more likely in this hemisphere for conducting fraudulent transactions.

I use eBay first. They protect you better.

Then AliExpress.

AliExpress was a better deal 5 years ago. The prices on AE are sometimes higher than US based products on eBay.

I haven’t purchased anything from Alibaba, but I do purchase a lot of electronic items from US based Chinese vendors on Amazon… Lets just say they change their business names on a regular basis as their negative feedback accumulates. I have gotten what I have paid for most of the time; however, there is a fair number of fraud’s as well. You pay the bill and take your chances. If you want/need guarantees and/or quality expect to pay for it and purchase from a more traditional vendor with a better reputation.

1 Like

If they didn’t screw you it means they forgot.

1 Like

For me trading with a Chinese company through and online order company is a little like gambling. I never spend more than I can afford to lose. For instance recently I bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Development-Board-Module-For-Arduino-/201529768817?rd=1&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID

It was $2.13 and free shipping. Another DMS member recommended it. I thought what the heck even if the order is a fraud I’ve got nothing in the transaction. (I spend this on tolls to DMS).

Still, you never know what you’re going to get. There was nothing but the item in the package. No please let us know if you like it, no this is how you use it, no this is what our other products are. Nothing at all.

Ha, that still blows me away!

Freakin’ Arduino delivered to you door in a few days from China for $2.13!

With headers!

1 Like

Yes, that’s some good logic. Learn to use Ebay, Aliexpress and perhaps Alibaba. I just searched for two products I’ve been looking for. One is a reagent and the other, a medical device. The reagent I find now on aliexpress for about a third the price for ‘small quantity’ on Alibaba. The med device is about double the Alibaba price. And the specific medical device is exactly in between in price on ebay.

True dat! It’s really hard to argue with virtually free (except maybe opportunity cost…)

2 Likes

The other thing I do when dealing with ‘dubious’ suppliers is make use of a disposable credit card. Yes, you have less protection from the credit card company (more hassle), but you also limit what the company your dealing with can steal.

2 Likes

Wandrson, Yes.

Even better, use a Virtual Card. I hate Citbank but I do have their card. And they do virtual cards. That’s a whole 'nuther thread but is a fantastic tool. I don’t buy ANYTHING online nor give away my real credit card number and CVV, etc. I punch in the amount, the expir date then create a virtual card. If something goes wrong and it’s a continuing payment, I just cancel the card with a click.

The first use of the card LOCKS the virtual card with the merchant. Even if there is cash left on the card they can’t spend it elsewhere.

Gym membership gone wrong / in dispute and you think they will keep billing you? Click! They’re done! And otherwise you do what? Cancel your primary card?? Then you know the routine . . . try and remember what things are on autopay with that card. . . next thing you know, your electricity’s off or you internet is shut down.

Also, scratch off your CVV, have to use a dremel. Waiters and others who have your card for just a moment can quickly take a pic then go shopping.

Since I have done the above two things, virtual cards always and scratch off my CVV . . . no more fraud on my card.

2 Likes

I’ve bought a number of cheap electronics parts from Amazon, Ebay and Aliexpress. My preference is strongly in that order but Aliexpress has worked well also. A trend that I’m seeing is more Amazon and Ebay parts with pretty low prices and US shipping.

Admittedly it’s for art related tools and such but I was less than impressed with any of the Ali companies. Better to let Dollar Tree take the hit for me