Expansion Template Meeting & Input

I’d like to ask that Machine Shop folks get together some time in next week for the exclusive purpose for preparing the expansion template that Chris Marlow has prepared as part of her work as the lead on expansion of DMS.

• What we have in terms of tools: space, power, other requirements
  • What we want in the future now that we may have space for them: space, power, other requirements
  • What will be the likely physical arrangements so as to determine space needs.
  • ???
    Consideration of footprints, location of accessory tools near machines, storage cabinets, etc.

What would be a good day/time?

What new tools, layout, or other ideas do folks have so we can begin this? Some of my initial thoughts:

• New tools/capabilities
    • I’d like to see a layout and inspection area where our inspection and layout equipment can be properly used. Additionally capability would include a hardness tester and optical comparator (CMM but realistically that is crazy talk unless something like a small Faro Arm, which are portable. CMM’s need their own environmentally controlled, the heads are extremely delicate and fragile)
  • Another heavy duty work table like the blue table next to Bridgeport and Lathe.
  • Pipe and tube notcher. Along with the cold cut saw this tool would make preparing parts to take over to Welding fantastic.
  • Dedicated Aluminum saw.

@Team_Machine_Shop

I can be there any afternoon next week (except Wednesday) or any evening.

One thing I’d like to see is something to hold a set of tools just for the lathe. It’s just a few wrenches. It would also be nice to have a better way of storing all of the lathe cutting tools and accessories.

It would be nice to have a notcher but I’m not sure if it should be in the machine shop or metal shop.

You know me - I’m a Sunday only guy

Sunday works for me and your input is value. Your still Chair before our young Turk ascends the Chair. What time Sunday? I’ll schedule it.

I like 4-5 so we can go to bbq after :meat_on_bone:

2 Likes

Set at 5pm in in Machine Shop area since we’ll be talking about space and taking measurements. That means we’ll end around our normal Sunday food gathering expedition.

1 Like

I have the files on my iPad so we can take the notes immediately. I do feel that the committees should start meeting to start planning with each other. Something that will take multiple meetings for sure. Of course it would help if we knew the rough layout the next space.

I think we can safely assume we will be pretty much where we are just with expanded boundaries. developing a sound, rational, justifiable layout plan will will go a long ways in getting the space we need - not just what would be nice at the expense of others.

We need to think about what we really want and have a plan for getting there.

I think Tim’s getting at how it’s probably MOST important to know what we’re starting with. For example, what power comes in, where, and where is there already wiring for xxx volts? What partitions/walls/barriers/HVAC/water spigots already exist and where, etc.
This seems more important to me than what anyone WANTS…
Blueprints, floorplan, Polaroid…anything, really, is better than the “nose to the glass best guess” we have now…

As you meet and discuss future needs, please add any classroom needs too. I know David likes Purple for lathe and mill, and Nick Lecture Hall, maybe Interactive for HAAS.

Are these environments good enough? What would make them better for you?

Cheers

2 Likes

Only because I can’t get the Conference Room! My classes are 6 students. Nicks are larger and needs the big screens.

John makes a good point that classrooms are a definite need and should get a high priority considering teaching is our primary mission. I think it is important for everyone to review Chris Marlows’s @John_Marlow analysis of classroom and class size.

1 Like

Sunday afternoon is a great time for me.

Items discussed at Machine Shop Meeting, data for worksheet. Updated 4-9

2 Likes

I could really use the 108" x 120" Haas with a rotary for long pole/tube/pipe/cylinder to turn around the x 120" axis

Not sure what you are referring to. These are the floor foot dimensions not the machining envelope to be used in planning space allocation. Or maybe I’m being dense and missing what you mean.

OK, I thought that was the working space dimensions
No I just am new and don’t know the terminology to describe it
Basically a mill turn inside the Haas
What are the working dimensions of the proposed wished Haas anyways?
As far as your denseness we can always dunk you in a tank of water :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to DMS and Machine Shop!

It won’t be a Haas, it will be something smaller like a Tormach 1100 with a tilting 4th Axis. (Think 4.5 axis)

Originally were going to get rid of the Haas and replace it with the Tormach. Now that we’ll have space we can keep the Haas and it’s capacity to do heavy machining on steel.

2 Likes