Expanding the use of the CNC router

Hello. I’d like to start this conversation here, and others can link to it if it should go under a different category. I’d like to see about expanding the use of the CNC router. I think a good addition to the toolbox would be a diamond drag engraving bit. Here is a link:
http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/CNC_Diamond_Drag_Engraving_Bit_p/cnc-dmnd_engrv-250.htm

This addition would allow engraving on plastics and glass (for making lighted signs), brass, aluminum, steel, and granite. and before anyone freaks out - there is no mess generated. It works by literally scratching the surface with a diamond tip. Generating the toolpaths for this type of work would be done on the same vectric software VCarve (or Aspire in the future) already available on the jumpserver (and which I would be happy to teach how to use).

This would open up a lot of possibilities for people working in metal, creative arts, jewelry, and others such as glass. However the first discussion is whether the wood shop committee wants to open up the machine to anything other than wood. It would be a shame if they didn’t since the CNC is a flexible machine. Keep in mind no one will be ‘cutting’ metal, plastics, or glass. Only engraving (scratching) it with the spindle OFF.

Lastly - it may be easy to say this would best be served on either the Shapeko or the Emco. Except that the shapeko is currently out of commission and I don’t know anyone using or teaching how to use the Emco. In both of these two cases, there is the added burden of learning a more complicated CAD system vs. the existing base that already knows VCarve. And there is the added concern whether these tools have enough Z axis clearance. The bit is spring loaded, so it is a bit long.

I personally only use it on engraving some of my lighters. But here are a few possibilities.

ok, that’s my proposal. I’m already doing this at home on my own CNC so I’m personally not going to be affected if this is regected. But I would be a shame if it were since it is such a simple thing to implement. I’d really love to see more people doing this type of work and keeping the CNC busy. Cheers!

I think the general thoughts on this are YES we would love to be able to do all those things but it will have to be on a separate machine tasked for those materials only.

The way i understand it the venting system on the CNC router is not set up for heavier materials, and small shards of metal or glass are not wanted around the router where they could damage other members wood projects.

The MultiCam gets so beat up as is, I would hate to see what happens with additional specialty tooling. I can imagine scenarios where he incorrect program is selected and the tool is trashed because of a head crash. Or spinning the drag knife, which isn’t balanced by design. The Heimer in the Haas gets spun and they have more controls in place than the MultiCam. I’m not sure how the surface and max depth setting would work with a spring loaded tool, that may or may not be an issue.

Maybe I’m overly cynical, but my vote would be nay in our setting.

2 Likes

absolutely zero venting is required with a drag bit. You’re not removing materials such as when routing. You’re scratching the surface. the material removed is so microscopic, a sneeze would probably remove it.

being spring loaded, you touch off the surface and then you have about 1" of play so unless the initial plunge is over 1" (one hell of a cut) it can be stopped. this is not like a drag knife, it is in fact balanced so spinning it at 20,000 rpm does nothing. the diamond tip isn’t going to fly out. It’s apples and oranges compared to the haas. setting wise, it is set to about 50/1000th of an inch of depth. I would be happy to demonstrate to committee members who would probably like doing it given the chance.

1 Like

If you have a setup you’re using, perhaps you could post a demo video?

good Idea. I’ll see what I can do.

Maybe a video of it being spun? :wink:

Think there are several things at play here. Matt’s concerns are valid, but potentially addressable.

Unfortunately, your timing sort of sucks. We’re in the process of re-doing the tool library and basic stock of bits, as well as generally cleaning up and overhauling the router. On top of that, the Woodshop is busy getting ready to add another dust collector as well. So time is a little short.

Perhaps we can take this up once we get the dust collector redone.

Sure. as you wish.