Exotic Wood Cutting Board Class Interest Check

I am starting to look ahead to my next cutting board class. I was thinking there may be some people who would prefer a class with more exotic woods that end up with a very different cutting board than what I have been presenting in classes so far. The class would have to come with a higher price tag, anywhere from $75 maybe up to $100 depending on the wood, instead of $40, but the end results could be pretty amazing. Is there enough interest to run this class? Attached is an example of a more exotic wood board I have made. This one only had Paduak, walnut, and maple, but I would likely have Paduak, Purpleheart, Zebra Wood, Wenge, Sapele, and then some maple, cherry, and walnut to round out the options and students would design their own board in class.

10 Likes

If I’m available I would like to do it. I planned on making a Texas shaped cutting board, and wanted to use some kind of exotic wood. I would like to learn techniques for binding together different pieces of wood like you showed here anyway.

I will attend if this happens. Will like be the 2nd most popular class at dns after your other cutting board class !!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words Martin.

I would be interested.

I’m in, If can get registered before it fills up.

I’d think mesquite would be the perfect choice to use for a Texas cutting board.

3 Likes

I’ve been considering the 3D block design (think QBert videogame), but perhaps I need more practice. I’m in.

2 Likes

I love it. Of course, I should probably finish the cutting board from your other class FIRST!

3 Likes

Do these exotic woods require more specialized care once they are being used?

No, same maintenance.

Note that some people are sensitive to exotic woods, but this is usually from the sawdust/shavings. Wear PPE and wash up soon after working the wood.

Similarly, I developed a sensitivity to creosote from chainsawing fenceposts and not following this advice. Not too much of a problem nowadays…

Wood sensitivity is accumulative thing: doesn’t usually happen on first exposure, but instead over time. Respirators and removing sawdust from skin will prevent/delay onset.

Usually isn’t a problem for the finished pieces, especially after they are oiled/waxed.

I have to say I’m interested but I do not have the time at the moment. I have many other projects on the burners now.

Start projects, finish whenever…

2 Likes

Amen

And a bunch of bits and bytes.