Evolution saw return to manufacturer

As mentioned in this thread, the evolution saw is being returned to the manufacturer for analysis on the root cause of why the speed is intermittent. It is believed this is one of the causes for the machine eating blades so much lately.

Please plan accordingly. The bandsaw should suffice in cutting your aluminum, albeit being slower. Also keep in mind that you do not need to press on the blade like your life depends on it, let the blade do the work. You can adjust the guides to get a better cut.

2 Likes

I know aluminum can be kind of sticky when cut by a saw: would using a waxy lube stick such as is used with steel on the metal shop’s horizontal band saw help when cutting aluminum (from both a stickiness and heat dissipation perspective)?

We have a lube stick sitting on or next to the Machine Shop (vertical) band saw.

Not really, the teeth are just too small for efficient aluminum cutting. Increasing the blade speed helps.

The inconsistency of the speed is really kinda a problem.

As @procterc mentions, speed is important. As an example: Our Kalamazoo Cold Saw is designed for cutting steel. At high RPM the blade is turning at 60 RPM. I went to site to see what the Alum gearing would be (about 4 years ago). Switching the gears gave a blade rpm of 1,700! Almost 30 X. But that saw has coolant that cools and lubricates the blade.

Gullets size is generally larger since the chips are bigger and have enough room to curl and fall out without sticking - that why on Bridgeport we use 2 flute cutters so there’s more room for the chip to clear.

Since we don’t run coolant on that saw, we should have “Air Gun” chip blower that gets down to an advertised -20 degrees. Alan and I fooled around with one night, the lowest temp we were able to get was -19! In a very narrow band of the air stream stream. No moving parts, just compressed air. It swirls it around inside, and there’s some sort vortex that separates the air into one side cold the exhaust side was around 140 degrees. Intellectually I get what’s happening, but it also makes me believe that magic exists.

It might be worth trying.

2 Likes

It’s called a Rank-Hilsch vortex is memory serves correctly.

Lots of F1 teams use them in the garages to cool the drivers.

1 Like

As per my I&R thread, the manufacturer replaced the saw under warranty. The new saw is a newer model of our existing saw. We had to modify the stand is was sitting on to allow for it to be bolted down.

If you have been authorized on the original saw previously, please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the new saw. The new saw doesn’t have separate triggers for the down feed like the old one did.

As a reminder when you are finished cutting your material, wait before the blade comes to a complete stop before raising the blade.

DO NOT FORGET TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. YOUR MOM DOESN’T WORK HERE.

6 Likes

Thank you for taking care of this, and making the new stand.

Sounds to me like the explanation is obvious: Maxwell captured a demon and placed it inside the tool.

Ranque-Hilsch vortex.

2 Likes