Ever build a rock tumbler? -or- Have one for sale?

Our Harbor Freight rock tumbler had a lifetime rated in hours. We are interested in something more robust. Any suggestions?

me too. never again.

1 Like

Thumler’s Tumbler

http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/

Just as good for brass (with stainless steel pins and water/dish soap) as it is for rocks.

1 Like

Looks like at least three features not on Harbor Freight:

• Heavy duty
  • Professional quaity
  • Five year guarantee [Edit: Looks like 5 year is barrel and liner only but it looks like it will run forever with occasional part replacement.]

Probably more…

Thanks

Lortone gets good reviews on Amazon and I vaguely remember seeing them for sale at Rock Barrell.

1 Like

Did the belt on the HF give out, that is usually thir fail point, Replace it and it
will last a long time, It is basically the same as the Loratone tumbler
except for that darn belt

1 Like

So am I - I’d like to build a larger tumbler but not for rocks or brass…
I picked up an old right angle drive gear reduction box for it - just haven’t moved forward

2 Likes

Could you repurpose an old cement mixer? It doesn’t get more heavy duty than that :grinning:

2 Likes

Russell made one. He named it “shiney” @Gimli

3 Likes

Its not the belt. The drum seemed to push against one end and a tablespoon of rubber particles was under one end of the drum with motor not working. I did not have time so I pushed it back in the garage. Will try to check it further. Makers cannot just ignore broken stuff.

@Gimli - Do you have plans or pictures? I’m not sure if we will follow through but it seems interesting this week.

We can when we are too dumb to fix it and gas Armageddon keeps you from the fix it event. Exhibit my scroll saw lol.

1 Like

Jerry, I’ve been looking for a clearance priced mortar mixer with a plastic barrel - plastic to keep the noise down to a low roar…but it the true “maker sense” I have several old electric motors and a right angle gear reduction drive (and a straight one come to think of it) so I am leaning towards a hexagon shaped wood box with direct drive or the like.

3 Likes

Have you considred an old clothes dryer? Remove the heating element and install a spray on plastic bed liner and you would be good to go.

3 Likes

Not grinding charcoal in that! :wink:

That’s glorious as an idea…if not a little overkill for my jewelry class it’d be pretty epic lol

Hatchers has been kicking around the idea of making one from a discarded treadmill for parts and controllers and a made barrel - possibly from a 30 gallon plastic barrel available at a feed/supply store.

don’t even need bed liner…

1 Like

The Maker Spirit is alive and well!

1 Like