Essential Oils Distillation

coffee oil extraction

I may be stuck on the concept of coffee as a source of caffeine so what could one do with coffee oil?

I wonder if I can replicate that setup in my home lab. What kind of pump is that??

wait I’m being an idiot, I could just use a pc water cooler pump. still would like to know what kind of pump (ie where on ebay/amazon to find it) though.

PC water cooler pump works fine, make sure water in bucket has ice. Pumps in garden stores for little fountains also good.

1 Like

Oil of wintergreen is something we will be making in an upcoming course, we already have all necessary reagents.

1. Dissolve 0.2 grams salicylic acid into 2.0 mL of methanol in a 5 mL round bottom flask. 2) Add 4-5 drops concentrated H2SO4 3) stir with magnet on heater-stirrer 4) Reflux for 40 minutes. 5) After 40 minutes, remove and isolate product.

The reaction is equilibrium (goes both ways) and produces water, it can be driven toward product by adding #3 molecular sieves to keep everything very dry as reaction progresses. Will not work well if water present. .

Lots of other esters that are fun to make with interesting smells:

table-of-esters-and-their-smells-1.pdf (1007.9 KB)

3 Likes

Coffee oil - I have read about. I’ll try and find the reference. Mainly for flavoring and as something fun to do. As I recall, you don’t get a lot of oil out of the extraction.

But if you use water and perhaps a reduced pressure then you might have invented a new sort of percolator. Cold brew.

Cold brew actual is extracting the flavoriods and caffeine while leaving the tannins, oils, and the rest. A high pressure Espresso machine is best used to extract the oils.