Equipment Training

For the wood shop and metal shop, I’m not necessarily interested in getting any training on the equipment I’m experienced in, I’m really just more interested in getting cleared to use the darn things.

For instance in the wood shop, I have experience using every bit of equipment in there, except the Multicam. In this case, I don’t need any training on any woodshop equipment. If I wanted the to use the multicam, then I would need training and patience to take classes on it. But I’m in a holding pattern until I can get to a woodshp basics class before getting cleared.

That’s the rub.

You’re both in luck and not in luck. Woodshop is one of the best in the building as far as offering frequent trainings (laser, leatherworking, and 3d printing are also fabulous).

Unfortunately, you joined during upgrade week, where they are making it all fancy and beautiful in there. :frowning:

1 Like

Yah they are doing a great job. I think I can make the next Tuesday class, so that’s rolling along ok. The metal shop, not sure about yet.

I appreciate the feedback and comments, it helps me understand how the space is run currently.

You can often go standby for the Woodshop Basics class. Each instructor is permitted to make that determination for his or her self, as to how many, etc. Having a large class is physically demanding in the woodshop, where it gets loud, so some instructors are more liberal than others.

As to getting “checked out”, you just need to take the class. There is no other method currently available, and is unlikely to be one any time soon. We get lots and lots of people that tell us they are experienced, know how, doing it for years, etc. But our experience is, that taking the class solves problems, and keeps access fair to all users. So we just have the one rule - everyone takes the class, no exceptions.

3 Likes

What do ya’ll think of this idea, maybe when folks want to take a class or training, there could be a place on each committees wiki, etc. that a member could queue up on. From there as enough folks show interest, each committee can arrange a class finding a trainer that could do it. Once more folks are trained and cleared, the committee can see if they can do future trainings. This way more members may use more of the facility and then we have more trainers to help folks along. This would prevent just having and relying on a few folks to always carry the load. Which, in theory, could provide a quicker and smoother flow of the spaces capabilities. Thus, providing happier members and slowing the fluctuations of members coming and going due to frustrations of not being able to utilize a space they are paying for. Has that been tried before?

Another possibility, could be an internship type training. For instance, let’s say I have a welding project, I’m going to do and someone wants to learn how to weld, etc. they could jump in for an hour and while I am building I can train the safety protocols and basic use of the machines while I work,etc.

Tapper wrote: “As to getting “checked out”, you just need to take the class. There is no other method currently available, and is unlikely to be one any time soon. We get lots and lots of people that tell us they are experienced, know how, doing it for years, etc. But our experience is, that taking the class solves problems, and keeps access fair to all users. So we just have the one rule - everyone takes the class, no exceptions.”

Well this is the crux of the situation isn’t it? Taking the class isn’t the problem, it’s actually having a class to take that is.

This is mostly for Woodshop, the Lift, and a few other things.

There are situations where you are allowed to demonstrate proficiency with one of the stakeholders. For example, Kris taught me the serger one evening when we just both happened to be there. It wasn’t a formal class, but it’s a training required machine.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is becoming more prevalent due to our diverse user base. Machine shop now has a mandatory safety class for the Lathe, Metal shop has the basic safety course. We’re moving toward a trained-before-use model versus our past ask-if-you-don’t-know-how model.

1 Like

The training includes what the usage rules are for the machine: types of material (at home work on what you want - here we have contamination rules), rules for breakage, first come-first served, what tools require additional training where tools are located, OUR safety rules associated with that committee.

I too know how use a lot of tools, but the training is for more than just “the tool” it covers a lot of the policies that committee & the Space.has.

1 Like

Your incorrect characterization of the cause does not belie your overall accuracy, lamentable though some of us find it.

Constantly. Anyone can teach a class. It’s coordinating the efforts across many people that proves difficult ('cause we’re ALL control freaks, apparently). Then there are politics, e.g. “only so and so is an AUTHORIZED trainer…”. Which leads us to Zack’s lamentably true characterization (above).

In simpler language: “The bullshit factor is rising.”

3 Likes

I think we do have a diverse user base in a lot of ways. I think that was just a diplomatic way of saying some of us are total newbs, and some of us have been doing this for a while and disregard safety rules we should know, and some of us pretend we have way more experience than we do and hurt ourselves or the tools.

And some of us are awesome and have the best of intentions and will follow all the rules! And some of us have the worst of intentions and will follow all the rules!

I don’t know that it’s always politics. Sometimes there are reasons why people are the only trainer, like they’re the ones stuck making the repairs or they’re the only ones who want to be bothered. Some of it is assuming the liability for safety classes too, or doing a really thorough job explaining everything. I’m sure there are some classes where someone is just dying to give up every Saturday or Thursday evening to teach a class so no one else can teach how to use the widget making tool, but I haven’t encountered that yet. Maybe I will eventually!

I’ll be at the space thurs around 730pm, and again on Sunday - if you want the lesson on how to use the lift.

1 Like

Thanks Tom - @TLAR I can’t make Thursday night, but can make Sunday. What time should I be there?

Owen,
Is there an evening after 7pm that works for you?
I’m off sun & mon so one of those days i am usually at the space.

Tom

2 Likes

Is there a path where a member who is trained on equipment can help to get other users going like a one on one basis? (not on stuff like the lift where there is a liability issue). I mostly mean in the case of say something like in the case of my girlfriend who has taken the laser class but did so before the epic Thunder laser showed up. I just don’t know what the official rules on this are, again just asking to be clear on the rules.

Each committee has their own rules regarding training. I would suggest contacting the current chairperson over whichever tool(s) you are interested in being trained/cleared on to find out what the specific requirements for that committee/tool are at this time.

1 Like

@patrickpleez1 you’d be the best one to answer this.

1 Like

Let me check with a few folks and see. I am not opposed but I just need to cover my behind.

2 Likes

For those who may not know, @patrickpleez1 is our brand new shiny Committee Chairperson for the Laser Committee. Ultimately, it will be his call regarding laser related training… However, since he just recently stepped up to bat, he probably hasn’t had a chance to review how previous chairs addressed training, etc…

With Every Committee, there is almost always at least some changes in how things are done - usually with the intention of making things better… Some (most) incoming chairs will touch base with the previous chair(s) to discuss various rules and all. Some obviously jump in and seem to change most rules and direction of the committee in general (lol?).

Now that we have that out of the way… I’m posting the following partially for Patrick’s benefit, but also to remind members that if you are not sure about current rules, always check with the current committee Chairperson - especially if/when any documentation (on TALK, the wiki, in print, etc…) is over six months old - since we have committee chair elections every six months… And because sometimes there are changes for other reasons that don’t get updated in the various resources right away.

Regarding who is allowed to train others to use the lasers:

Previously, like a long time ago when the laser committee was freshly created, William and I kept a list of members who were cleared to train others on the Full Spectrum laser (we also maintained a list of who was authorized to maintain the laser…).

I do not believe that the list has been updated much since he stepped down as chair, plus we no longer have the Full Spectrum laser… And I personally have no idea who has been trained on our three current lasers - much less know who knows them well enough to adequately train others.

That being said, the previous list was maintained on the Laser Committee wiki page:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Committee

Please wait for Patrick to have time to review the OLD INFORMATION on the wiki before using it as a reference… I imagine he will either update the information, or just delete the sections and state that everyone must attend a class… Again, ultimately it’s his call as the current chair.

I hope this helps explain why we don’t always have quick answers, and why members who have been around for a long time will often say, “I’m not sure, let’s check with the Chairperson…”.

One suggestion that I have for Patrick: If you do decide that certain members can train others one-on-one, please either maintain a list in some fashion so others know who they can be trained by, or indicate that an official class must be taken (and please document your decision on the wiki, if you do decide to not allow one-on-one training anymore). This ensures that the “trainers” will be following consistent rules/policies/procedures - so that newly trained members should walk away with the same information, regardless who they were trained by… BTW ~ Thanks for stepping up to be the new chair! It can be a thankless job at times, so just know that your time is appreciated!