Equipment for physical vapor deposition (PVD)?

Does science have equipment for PVD metal coatings? I’m wanting to make some stuff for the house, and want it to look spiffy.

I’d like to put common household metal finishes (bright brass, nickel, etc.) on a variety of common substrates (steel, plastic, etc.).

I know there are a variety of PVD processes, but the one I figured might be most attainable is one Ben Krasnow from Applied Science demoed involving sputtering in a vacuum chamber.

Also, what’s the largest workpiece that could be coated?

3 Likes

If we could do pvd I’d be all over that. Following.

I think it was plating, but didn’t @Josh_Melnick teach something on copper-plating 3D printed forms?

Josh Melnick is an expert in vapor deposition of films. Contact him.

Science does have a big vacuum chamber (a cylinder roughly 3 ft long by 15" diameter) that we intend to use for sputtering at some point. It would take some volunteer hours to get the process hashed out. Any takers to get this going once Makerspace opens back up?

@Josh_Melnick did teach copper plating of 3d prints at some point. Since he’s not active any volunteers to teach the class again would be appreciated…all the equipment / class materials are still there There’s also a box that might be a partially completed PVD chamber, but don’t quote me on that…

2 Likes

ill be back someday

2 Likes

I just toured on Saturday and immediately signed up. This is the first project I wanted to do and I will gladly join this project if it hasn’t been done yet.

Cool stop by any Sunday between 2:30 to 5pm. That’s the weekly informal meet up in the Science area. We can discuss how to get this going again.

2 Likes

Anyone know if this project is still active?

1 Like

We still have all the equipment if someone wants to get it going

1 Like

We are developing the ability to do some high vacuum for very pure depositions.

If this is an interest of yours, follow Kobin’s advice on Sundays.

1 Like