Engraving some Pilot MR pens

Hey guys, I’d like to engrave some Pilot Metropolitan and MR pens as gifts for my nursing school peers.
I’m wondering if the laser cutter or the impact printer would be best.
I’m not trained on the impact printer so I don’t really know what it can do.

The pen is coated brass.

@talkers do you have any input? :slight_smile:

I would suggest laser and rotary mount. but, you might be able to not use the rotary if your imprint is small enough.

Metaza?
Seems like a solid choice…
I have no idea how thick the pens are, but the spec on this unit is 40mm (1.5inches). The sharpie in my possession measures <.5", so it seems like this should work fine…

Can the Metaza handle a non-flat object?

1 Like

No idea.
I’d run it past John Gorman, but since he’s out of the country, based on this thread

maybe @squaredroots can offer advice…

Nope. It can’t.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Page 58 of the user manual says it requires a “head cap” to print on cylindrical surfaces and has instructions for creating the image for curved surfaces.

Originally the unit had a head cap installed. I don’t know if we still have one.

The user manual is linked from the Metaza line of the tools listing, in the Creative Arts subsection.

It would be great for you to experiment with this (especially how to hold the pen) and then educate the rest of us!

1 Like

@CaryF300 @jast

Yes, it works kind of like the rotary tool on the laser? We also have a vise (I think) that can hold the object to prevent it from rolling around but sometimes you don’t need it if your pen adheres to the sticky surface bed thingy. I’ll put up a metaza pen class soon which will illustrate how to use it for non-flats.

For your project, since it looks like its colored aluminum, you would need some sample pens to test out the depth settings on the metaza/laser before doing the final, because thickness of the layer can vary, so testing is required to see if you get the finish you want. We can also adjust the impact levels on the metaza to engrave deeper.

You can actually do either way if your design is that small, doing it flat on a laser bed should work just fine, you shouldn’t need a rotary. Doing it on the metaza would work as well.

It’s totally up to you and I can help you with either if you want.

Thanks,
PW

3 Likes

Great! Thanks!
I’ve got some practice pens handy, and I’ll be looking for the classes :slight_smile:

1 Like

@John_Marlow it can, its a setting in the preferences in the metaza studio (no idea why they put it here, kind of un-intuitive), and is outlined starting on pg 58 on the manual.

1 Like

Haha! You type faster than I do. I was in the process of correcting my post above!

1 Like

@John_Marlow Haha, yeah I was looking for the setting and was like why is it here?!? You would think they would put it in the section where they have the other settings for the work piece. The MPX-90 (the next level up) can do uneven surfaces like swords and knives (crazy). The MPX-80 only can do flats and cylinders RIP.

2 Likes

@ginger_fox I don’t know when your deadline is, but I’ll be at the space tonight until like 830 ish, so we can exchange numbers and set up a time to work on it.

-PW.

1 Like

Does the Metaza still have a head cap? I know it can be removed for printing without one …

@John_Marlow Come to think of it, I don’t remember seeing head caps in the box so maybe will have to look for replacements. I’ll check tonight. You can indeed print without one.

oh no pressing deadlines! I’m just trying to get it done for graduation in May :slight_smile:

But! I’d be happy to come play around anytime!