Engraving Pens knowledge

I’m trying to engrave some pens for a small project, and I heard that there was a tumbler to be used with the laser cutter that way the pen can be rotated as the laser engraves (otherwise it would be distorted). Can someone teach me how to use it, or is there someone I can contact?

P.S. I think the Metaza engraver would serve the same function, if someone knew how to use that.

There is a rotary attachment for the thunder lasers, but, it’s pretty big and usually used for tumblers or glasses. I suppose you could use it for a pen, but it would be difficult to get it into the grips, perhaps with some spare wood. Look for classes for the rotary attachment. Additionally, there is a small pen holder that is kept by the zing, it doesn’t spin though. I believe there is also a class on doing pencils on the zing.

What Evan said.

You could design and 3D print an adapter set for mounting a pen in the rotary attachment. Others will find that useful.

1 Like

@talkers does pen engraving on the lasers with some regularity, I think…

2 Likes

I took that class today actually. I want to use a rotary tool because that way the laser doesn’t get in and out of focus around the curve of the pen and distort.

yeah, laser 102, rotary

1 Like

yeah, that’d be cool

Are you wanting to engrave down the pen or around the pen? For example your name going length wise down the pen, or a design banding wrap around? If it is is going length of the pen you don’t need a rotary and the Epilog is generally used. I am not sure if the Thunder will get the detail in a small band but something I too am looking into.

Just have a name, class fruition date and college
John Smith
Texas A&M University
Class of 2022

Perhaps I just cut each line on the pen, rotate it a little, then do the next line. Would that work?

1 Like

Yes, just like this on the Epilog Zing laser.

1 Like

Note: Christian took @Mrksls2 's class today, which is an excellent class. Mark should have covered etching Pens.

Our Zing does not offer a rotary attachment. The next size up does.

The Thunders do have a rotary tool. Assuming you make adapters for the rotary, to get the same level of detail, you will need to try the HD lens. It has much less clearance, so pen clips might be an issue. I have not played with it yet. @pinewoodnut has a class on using that lens on the calendar.

1 Like