Engine Turning (Jeweling) article

For today’s content - One of my favorite subjects. I should do that class again sometime. Article here: Jeweling

5 Likes

Anybody personally tried the method of using Cratex abrasive sticks chucked in a machine?

I haven’t. But Nick and I have been discussing Machine Shop getting a small drill press that will be set on Sherline table and DEDICATED ONLY FOR JEWELING. There are other drill presses and the Bridgeport available.

I personally love the abrasive sticks for clean up work but have never seen one being used rotationally. Not sure how to mount it unless they come that way.

ADDED: They make some that cut be chucked up Cratex jewelling The biggest problem is the size limitation, max size is 1" and the chuck size is probably .375" or .500" max.

What’s the biggest Bridgeport collet? :wink:

About an inch - but yeah, gonna clamp down on an abrasive stick on a ground and polished surface.

Have been thinking about a way make a holder that could hold a wider piece. But the fact is, Scotchbrite type material works great and comes in large circular patches with arbor/holders they just fit onto.

But Cratex idea is great

yes I have. the truth is those cratex sticks are more oval than round. I found the brush and compound to produce a nicer finish.

3 Likes

I have a question, in a lot Fabrage s enamel work he uses a transparent ename over
engine turning Is this what they were talking about Os that something we might be
able to do?

The largest R8 collet we have for the Bridgeport is 7/8".

I could be mistaken, but I believe that 7/8" is the largest size that the R8 collet will allow.

Are the collets for the lathe chuck for the Bantam R8? I think they are. There might be a 1" or might not.

It takes a lot of power to turn 1" cutter (ignoring facing shell mills)

Sorry, don’t know. But if they are R8, the largest R8 collet that is made is 7/8". Anything larger than that and it can’t be an R8 profile. But you might be able to get a 1" cutter with a smaller shank.

I hadn’t thought about how much power it takes to drive a large cutter. Good point.

I don’t know about a transparent enamel, but the part about the Fabrege eggs pertained to creating Guilloche (straight line engine) patterns.

Then transparent enamels were applied over the enginne turned area