Ender 3 v2 issue with extruder failure

Any ender owners out there experienced this before? A print will go just fine until the extruder gear tugs but the filament won’t go, so it flattens the filament in its grip, making it unable to fit into the bowden tube entry, meaning the last 27 hours of waiting was for nothing and I’m definitely not upset about it.
I’m running a stock ender 3 v2 except for the addition of a BL Touch and a capricorn tube
Could the filament holder be partly to blame?

I had that happen once and It was mostly caused by the stock bowden tube. It had started to warp over time (I mean like 200+ hours on the machine) and then was putting more strain on the extruder gear. I ended up changing out the tube and a fresh nozzle and it was good to go. Then about hour 300-400 I had to replace the hot end cause it was just too gunked up.

Oh shoot I forgot to mention, I have a capricorn on there too. Swapped it out at the jump because I heard the stock ones don’t last

Check the hot end cooling fan. It could be heat creep.

3 Likes

I was about to post the exact same problem about the exact same printer :joy:. But on mine I upgraded to a metal extruder but still have the same problem and it’s a hot end clog. I definitely need to get a new one. If you already have a better hot end then it probably is your Bowden tube and/or your extruder.

1 Like

On mine it’s extruding just fine though, so it seems to be an issue with the extruder gear or the filament not coming off the roll easily
*Edit: I’ll get through half a print for example just fine, but it seems to be an issue at the extruder gear and not the hot end or tube. What I meant was that it will print up until it for some reason can’t extrude

As in the filament getting soft further away from the nozzle?

Yes. You might have a hot end cooling issue.

I just bought that same printer a few weeks ago and had a similar issue. The solution I found after several hours of searching was the gear piece on the stepper motor. The ‘spiky gear piece’ is on a spindle that allows it to slide up and down. It slid down too far and was not making contact with the filament so nothing was extruding.

Was your filament also getting kinda squashed so it wouldn’t feed into the bowden tube?

make sure your extruder motor isn’t getting too hot as well. if you have a metal extruder gear attached to the motor it can transfer the heat from an overheated motor and squish the filament instead of pushing it along.

• I don’t have an ender. just using general printer repair experience

I have noticed the motors run warm, so maybe what I’m experiencing is a combination of factors. For now I’ve resolved to add a filament guide and a new filament holder with bearings to help ensure the angle isn’t too steep, hopefully after that I can call it a day.
Thank you for the suggestion!