Ender 3 Help Please

I have had my Ender3 for over a month and have printed with no issues. I have leveled the bed multiple times and my prints have been fine. Recently, the first layer started to give me a bunch of issues. I tried leveling a bunch of times and now prevail. I have cleaned the extruder and still no go. I live in the south Dallas area (Waxahachie), and would love to meet someone who could help me figure this out. I am willing to travel anywhere in the DFW area, and willing to pay for your time. I just am at a loss. Please help!!!

1 Like

@Team_3D_Fab

@themitch22 has varied experience on many 3D printer models.

Is it an uneven bed Issue, an adhesion problem, or an extrusion problem? Pics would help.

Using mirror with painters tape. Canā€™t get first layer to lay right. Either wonā€™t stick or shows signs of not enough clearance. Going out of town for evening. I will try again and post Picts tonight.

RBNO happens Tuesdays. I have a problem laser cutter that I was banging my head against for like a year assuming it was hardware related. Those guys are amazing and had it narrowed down to software in an evening.

Have you looked at the Simplify 3D website to narrow down what the problem might be?

I have found these guys to be informative:

The Ender 3D Facebook group has a troubleshooting guide:

Link to leveling with paper. Used a stl file to move to each corner twice to ensure all corners where level

Wash your bed with isopropyl alcohol. If that doesnā€™t work, increase bed temp 10Ā°C, if that doesnā€™t work do the nozzle temp +10Ā°C.

First Layer is sometimes maddening. The 3 factors that have caused me trouble:

1. Platen level; go to all 4 corners and the Center. Your nozzle width will determine the precision you must achieve. A 100um nozzle is the worst, a 1.0 mm nozzle the easiest. For a 300um nozzle, it should be about 300um +/- 50um (.012" +/_ .002)

2. Proximity Detector; mine is cheap and Chinese, so it varies. Getting this right can be tedious. I know how many turns of the platen leveling screws will raise the platen to a desired nozzle height for 1st Layer. Sometimes, I let the head lay down itā€™s cleaning test strip, then judging by the squish of the bead, I will give all 4 leveling screws a tweak. When Iā€™ve had enough crashes, Iā€™ll actually adjust the proximity detector. Iā€™ve found that I have to readjust the proximity whenever I change nozzle diameters.

3. Extruder temp, platen temp, platen surface. I use the green poly tape on the surface, painterā€™s tape never worked for me. On this machine, ABS = 245ā€™, platen = 95ā€™, never use PLA.

Happy hunting!

Best attempt. Tried alcohol, raising temp on both bed and extruder and this attempt used glue stick. I donā€™t know why itā€™s giving me issues. Iā€™ve been using this printer for over a month and never had issues with leveling or getting first layer.

Looks like either:

1. the clearance from nozzle to the platen
  2. volume of extrusion

When you see it beading up an extrusion, itā€™s not getting ā€œsquishedā€ into the platen correctly, or there just isnā€™t enough plastic getting layed down to cover that surface area.

Get some Green Poly Tape for your platen, itā€™s cheap and makes you much happier.

Looks like your retraction is set too high, extrusion may be a bit low or nozzle temp is a bit low, and your head seems too close to the platen.

Most importantly, only change one thing at a time.

The first bead looks like it makes a double-line, so the extrusion is coming out the around the nozzle and being parted by the motion. Thatā€™s from the nozzle being too close.

When starting the next bead, itā€™s sputtering out. The retraction may be set too high. You may not be extruding enough, which can either be heat or extrusion speed. It could also be pulling filament out by dragging (like seen between nozzle clear and first circle) and emptying the nozzle before the print.

First thing I would do is check the height with the bed and nozzle hot. Put a piece of paper down and home z. The paper should move freely but you should be able to feel the ā€˜toothā€™ of the paper. Iā€™m guessing itā€™ll be close to dragging.

I saw the trough in the very first circle it layed down, but then the second circle was beading. Then it starts on his part, and itā€™s all beads and sputters.

Is the platen loose? Itā€™s appears to change heightā€¦

1 Like

Good observation. The beading I think is from insufficient extrusion. The trough on the big circle is all the way around, so I donā€™t think itā€™s out of level. I donā€™t know how ender beds attach, but if itā€™s like a Anet then I donā€™t think being loose is reasonable. I could see the build plate being warped though, especially if thatā€™s ABS.

@david546 did increasing the bed temp make it worse in the center?

What slicer are you using? If itā€™s Simplify, can you share the factory file? What filament are you using, what is the suggested temp on the box say, and what are you running at?

I have 2 Ender 3s that I have upgraded nearly every part on.
I would highly recommend going to Lowes, buying a $15 chunck of 3mm mirror glass, and getting it cut to 235x235(about 9 1/4" x 9 1/4"). It is incredibly flat and makes leveling a breeze.
Buy hairspray, and spray the glass the few times.

If you can come to the Makerspace, we can coordinate some time for me to look at your printer. I have some glass cut to that dimension I cut sell to you.

I would also recommend tipping the tip of the filament in cooking oil and running it through. If there are any inconsistent extrusion issues because of filament diameter, ptfe tube diameter, incorrect assembly, blockage, etc, it will become a lot better or almost disappear.

I did the Loweā€™s glass and have used glue sticks, blue tape, and glue stick on blue tape. I feel itā€™s an extruder issue. I would love to meet someone at maker space. Iā€™m a teacher so Iā€™m available just about anytime. Just tell when. Iā€™ll even buy lunch.

I can come anyday after 3PM. Try dipping the filament in oil and running it. If that doesnt work, we can look at your printer.
If it still is underextruding, I am free tommorrow.

I tried the oil and still has same issues. I can be there at 3:00 and am free till 5:00. I will bring printer and all my tools, etc. I thank you soooooooo much. Just to make such the address is 920 S Harwood St, Dallas, TX 75201 right?

1825 Monetary Ln #104, Carrollton, TX 75006