Enclosures for delta printers?

Hey guys - new member here. I’ve got a delta printer from a kickstarter campaign, and I’d like to add an enclosure. Do you know of any commercial enclosures that fit delta printers? I’ve only ever seen them for the cartesian printers (e.g. BuzzBox).

1 Like

You could easily build one using the laser cutter and some acrylic and 3D printed connectors. Or go simpler with something like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1117395

Yeah, I’d like to build my own. I’ve already started designing it, but I need to get training/permission to use the equipment.

I’m trying to see if it’s feasible to both enclose the printer and improve rigidity at the same time. I think by anchoring the sides of the enclosure directly to the makerbeam, the whole printer may be a lot more rigid - similar to adding a back to a cabinet. I wanted to see if there were any existing designs like this. The designs I’ve seen on Thingiverse/Youmagine seem to just sort of hang the panels, without really anchoring anything.

While your waiting on your ability to build a permanent solution, you can throw together a functional enclosure with cardboard and duct tape.

He’s right, you can just use a cardboard box as an enclosure, it’s just to keep the heat in and air from moving when printing ABS. Take a cue from how the polyprinter enclosures are.

I’m more concerned about fumes than temperature control. My printer only does PLA, so I’m not worried about delamination. Maybe that can be a future project :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’ll try using cardboard for a proof-of-concept, then make something more permanent later. Thanks guys!

I’m having the same concern with my printer at home. I’m thinking a dryer duct with a fan and venting it out of my window.

Yeah, out the window seems to be the most practical solution. I only have a single patio door, so venting out of that is a little more complicated. I tried some tests with venting mine out the same duct as my laundry dryer (I have some duct and an inline fan if you want it). Unfortunately, I’d need a very powerful fan, because the duct is 61’ long (according to the plaque on the wall).

A couple of times I fell asleep waiting for a print, and woke up with swollen/red/dry eyes. I already knew the fumes can’t be good, so I quit printing when the weather’s bad. When the weather is nice, I use a box fan to clear the fumes out the door.

Wouldn’t venting still draw air in from someplace as it blows it out? That air would likely be cooler than what you’re exhausting.

The Polyprinter enclosures are mostly sealed and have a fan that circulates the interior air through a hepa filter for the larger particles. I don’t have a problem being near the polyprinter. There was someone at the space recently that had a particle sensor for very fine particles in the air and logged it for his research, of course we don’t really know what these particles will do to us in the long term.

I know for sure last time I had a printer in my house doing ABS you could smell it all the way through the house. PLA is still pretty noxious but it doesn’t seem to be as strong.

Try just building a foam or cardboard enclosure and use a fan with a vacuum cleaner hepa filter.

Yeah, I actually started on something like this (with activated carbon for vapor adsorption) and then got a response back from a guy at Sentry Air. He said I’d really need something beefier like their SS400 models. He didn’t elaborate on why, but he said they don’t recommend their 200 or 300 series models for 3D printing - maybe because most of their customers are commercial outfits.

Can you remember who had the particle sensor? I’d love some actual data. I looked at renting a meter, but I realized I’d need a few sensors (for fine particles, UFPs, and vapor/fumes). The all-in-one sensors are way out of my price range, even to rent. A lot of the fumes and particles are odorless, and I really don’t like the idea of breathing potentially-hazardous materials for hours on end.

I’m hoping to get my 3d printer ordered next month(My giftcards from work got lost in the mail), and will probably put it near a window, so I could use that ducting and inline duct fan if you’re just looking to get rid of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool - yeah they’re yours! I’m sure I’ll see you around the space, but we could grab a drink or something sometime and catch up :smiley:

1 Like

One could add an activated charcoal filter after the HEPA element and grab most of that noxious stuff that the HEPA missed.

Or, vent it outside while pulling air in through a heater element, using a PID loop to equalize Tin = Tout.