Embossing texture onto paper?

Short of using JSM’s rolling mill, do any of our tools enable embossing a texture into scrapbook card stock?

Etching press in Printmaking will do this.

Training is required before use…

3 Likes

When is the next training class on that? They added printmaking to my course load and I need to spend the next few months working curriculum (bonus is I can do more classes at DMS)

1 Like

PRINTMAKING TECHNIQUES - Laser Engraved Wood Plate

(https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/12528)
Thursday June 6, 7pm — 10pm

1 Like

Is there not a free class that’s tool training only? I have most of these materials already but it doesn’t allow a free registration

What kind of texture or pattern do you want to emboss?

I once experimented with embossing parallel lines onto cardstock using an embossing tool and the slot in a craft store paper cutter. The result was glued to a model rocket to simulate the corrugations or stringers used to stiffen actual launch vehicles. It looked good, but I would not want to make very many of them that way.

At the time, I had a friend who ran a company selling model rocket kits. He made his wraps by rolling cardstock between two delrin rollers cut with a laser.

I can think of a couple of other options:

1 ) There is a multi-ton press in Automotive which could probably be used for embossing as well. You’d need to provide your own plates, etc.

I don’t believe specific training is needed prior to use (*see note) - it is not listed on the Automotive Wiki or the Automotive Tools list so I can’t say for sure…

2 ) FWIW, John K was working on a home-grown embossing press a few months back which used a car bottle jack to provide the clamping pressure. You might talk to him about that.

*Note: If you joined DMS after 15 Sept 2018, taking Automotive 101 would be required before using ANY Automotive tools, etc.

p.s. Perhaps it should be added to the Automotive Wiki and/or the Wiki Tools Page for Automotive, especially if it turns out formal training is required.

You never explained exactly what you were wanting to do, but would this tool help?