Elegoo Mars question

After reading the committee meeting minutes (thanks!), I wanted to know if Elegoo Mars can “print” castable wax? Thanks.

2 Likes

It can Print Castable we where just talking on discord about this

2 Likes

so cool, the Saturn is coming out soon, and they just posted a gigantic prototopye on Instagram that is like 10x the Mars. All probably 1/5 th cost of Formlabs.

I can say the Elegoo Mars is very suitable for various resin types. Also probably big enough for what most members would need. The Saturn is mucho bigger but that means trays, FEP film and other consumables is higher. But we should have at least a couple.

“Wax” resins are very expensive $120/liter up to $300/liter. This seems to be based on how “Ash Free” they are.

3 Likes

We don’t know what the Saturn will retail for, but Im guessing around or under $1000, seems like a good move, considering the “lamborghini” maintenance and repair costs of Formlabs.

But why even spend that when the Elegoo Mars is under $200 and would do what 80% of members want. The Elegoo Mars Pro is under $280. That leaves a lot of $$ for more printers and/or accessories.

1 Like

Ya you are probably right, Im thinking for Generative Design stuff but most people dont need that.

we can have both classes of printers. Just Mars vs. Saturn is at least 4:1

I will consider the purchase of castable wax resin but I need recommendations and work with jewelry committee on requirements for them to use it for casting.

3 Likes

Is the castable wax resin that we bought for the Formlabs suitable for the Elegoo Mars?

EDIT: I don’t know if there is any left, but it did seem to work fine for casting in our local JSM studio.

1 Like

I do not remember which light frequency the Formlabs use for exposing the resin. The Elegoo Mars and LCD based printers like it use 405nm, so if we have any resins that work with that frequency it should work.

1 Like

The Formlabs 2 tech specs say it also uses a 405nm laser.

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder if the resins are interchangeable.

you can use Form resin in the Elegoo but not the other way around.

In the Form there is no easy way to adjust the cure time of the resin. There is the “open” mode on the Form 2 but many of the quality of life features that make the Form a smoother and more reliable user experience are disabled.

https://support.formlabs.com/s/article/Open-Mode?language=en_US

4 Likes