Electronics soldering class request

I REALLY want to learn how to solder to repair electronics. Will there be a class on this anytime soon? Thanks!
-Eden

2 Likes

Welcome to DMS, Eden! You’re gonna love it.

I, too, would be interested in a class like this. Recent excellent oscilloscope class has me wanting to design and build hardware. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d be willing to do a class like that. I’ve generally geared it towards building a kit from a place like Adafruit so that students walk away with something functional, but would cost something between 20-40 dollars depending on the kit.

I believe we’re limited in the number of soldering stations we have (think @artg_dms said we had around 4 of them), but we may be able to supplement with some cheaper irons.

I’ve generally done:

• What is soldering & different types
  • Techniques with good and bad examples
  • Desoldering and rework

Sound about what you’d like to learn, or have something different in mind?

7 Likes

What you’re suggesting sounds perfect for me. I have a soldering station, iron and different tips with a stand and magnifying glass that was gifted me. I just want to learn how to use them correctly. :wink:

1 Like

Interested as well. Class contents and cost is reasonable.

1 Like

@Dale_Wheat did a number of popular soldering classes. The project was a Wee Blinky that he sells for $4.95. It includes the following components which fit well within a two hour class.

1 PCB
2 LEDs
4 resistors
2 transistors
2 capacitors
1 9V battery snap
Product label

Update: The link description indicates the kit includes a microcontroller which is incorrect. The circuit is a two transistor oscillator.

7 Likes

There were a couple Arduino kits in the Tanner’s stuff if the class wants to solder up something useful. Actually thinking of it there were a few kits in one of the boxes we haven’t inventoried yet.

2 Likes

Tanner carried several of Dale’s kits as well as a lot of the expensive name brand stuff.

https://www.dalewheat.com/product-category/diy-kit/

I believe Dale’s stuff was on consignment and went back to Dale so we don’t have any of it in the Tanner’s donations, but the other kits he had are definitely in the bins.

1 Like

Guys, this sounds awesome! When can we do it??? So excited! I am totally willing to pay $20-40 to learn!!!

1 Like

Me too! Exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for in a class.

1 Like

Desoldering would be very helpful to learn, I’d be interested in this class!

1 Like

I would be interested in learning how to properly use a soldering iron to join metal scrap objects for sculpture application. To join tin, silverware, or small junk things I find.

I’m fine learning in a soldering for electronics application class, if it will give me the basics to use the soldering iron and solder etc.

Soldering is creating a chemical bond in metal, and it applies across a lot of disciplines; Electronics, solar technology, Plumbing, stained glass, etc… The only differences are the heat source and the metals mixtures used.

It would be very useful for a class that demonstrates this in a multi-disciplined approach. The Hakko soldering irons, a bigger 50W Weller “pencil”, and a butane torch represent the scaling of heat sources you need to cover most of these skills.

I too am interested in a class like this.

I’d keep the class simple/basic. Focus on the electronics and let the other Committees teach their applications. ELab has Hakko and Metcal soldering stations. The main difference is you can set/vary the temp on the Hakko pwr unit, the temp on the Metcals is determined by the tip installed.

Standard tin lead solder is used in the ELab. If you need no lead - bring your own tips and solder. Kester SnPb 63/37 resin core and no clean resin is stocked. I’ve found that a tip temp of 620-650 F to work well. I have not used no lead solder - those who have generally have very unkind things to say about it and highly recommend against mixing the two.

Flux is an interesting topic. What it does and why it’s needed. A demo on heavy gauge stranded wire is interesting.

Do not bring acid core solder into the ELab. Just don’t.

ELab has scrap pc boards and parts to learn / practice on.

1 Like

So, when is someone available that can teach? I am more then happy to buy a kit or do whatever y’all want. I just want to learn!

1 Like

I’m getting the logistics of it together. Give me just afew more days and I’ll try too get something posted to the calendar.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

Can you let me know here when you post it to the calendar? Classes fill up so quick and I really want to take this one which is why I requested it. If it fills up before I can get in it I am happy to pay someone to teach me and pass me off on the equipment. In the wood shop section they said it was ok to offer incentives. Anyways, thank you so so much for being willing to do this class!