Electronics Office Hours?

I’m trying to come up with a way to regularly “give back” at DMS. I’m looking for suggestions.

I’ve thought about classes, but haven’t really found any topic that seems to have wider interest. It occurred to me that one way to learn about the need is just to be present. Do y’all think and electronics area “office hours” maybe every other week or so would be useful. The downside is I’m not available on consistent days so it would vary, but I could schedule them a month or two in advance. Probably mostly weekday evenings.

I have taught a really basic electricity/electronics course think: “Getting to Blinky” level. No math beyond four-banger calculator, learn to use a multi-meter and ID some parts. It was cool because kids under 16 were allowed with family members over 16. Might be a good ‘open’ class available to DMS as well as non-DMS folks.

My Background: circuit design EE, licensed radio amateur (ham) since too long, electronics hobbyist for just as long. Jack of all trades and master of none (analog, RF, digital, firmware…)

Oz (N1OZ in DFW)

6 Likes

As the unofficial Chief Electronics and Microcontroller Class Cheerleader, I heartily endorse this idea!

It can be the base for untold classes to follow.

We have tons of expertise in these areas and I never miss the opportunity to encourage others to consider what they might offer in a class. If you meet a few very simple criteria, you can receive a $50.00 honorarium but that is exceeded by seeing the excitment that students get from seeing that they can control a circuit or program.

2 Likes

I’m aware of this, but it would likely either go back to the committee or be used for materials for a class. Maybe free for DMS members and nominal $ for non.

1 Like

My real issue is identifying something I can do that will have some interest.

1 Like

Here’s a suggestion: A Michigan Mighty Mite class.

One of my favorite DMS people, who has since passed, was Walter Anderson. A somewhat controversial figure who was a genius at many things and whom I called a friend. He taught a successful Michigan Mighty Mite class documented here:

6+ years ago and it was very well received. I had fun in the class and learned a lot, too.

You can find plans for the Michigan Mighty Mite online, too. Here’s an example:

https://www.qsl.net/wb5ude/kc6wdk/transmitter.html

Raspberry Pi, Robotics, Arduino, Home Automation and Basic General Electronics all have interest.

I’ve also thought from time to time an electrician’s basic class would be interesting, too. How to wire your porch light with a three way switch for instance. Another big topic is off the grid systems or power backup systems. I’d take a solar energy class, too.

Just some ideas.

3 Likes

I’m retired so I grab the cash but, it’s great to pass that to the ELab committee.

@artg_dms is Electronics Tzar and is great to work with in supporting classes and often funding supplies.

I would expect that a basic electronics class would go ever well. My Arduino-ish classes always fill and it’s often with people with no electronics background. A basic electronics class would be a great follow-up.

@Dale_Wheat did a couple of soldering classes in the pre-Covid era. He has a small business selling simple electronic kits and everyone in class got to solder up and keep a Wee Blinky. The classes were full and folks loved it.

If you tag a class as Arduino or Raspberry Pi, I can all but guarantee that it will fill. I’ve done 60+ over the last few years and there are a myriad of classes that can be offered.

2 Likes

I took the WeeBlinky class too. These are especially popular around Chrstmas as the same circuit can drive other LEDs. Arduino classes are also great that time of year too for those trying to spruce up their lighting.

2 Likes

Do an interest chsck out here on the forum.
Post your topic along with a rough outline / syllabus for the class.
ELab has some teacher resources. Let me know what you need. If we don’t have, I can probably find or order.

1 Like

I got @artg_dms to order four of these to see if anyone would be interested in using them in a class. No response yet but he is open to ordering enough to support a class if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Arduino-Starter-Compatible-Projects/dp/B0874GGGVJ

Here is a survey I did a while back.

I’m voting for the Electronics Office Hours. I, for instance, would like to be able to fix some of the dead fans that are sitting around. Since you’re not interested in the honorarium, Office Hours are ideal. Or, you’re ideal for Office Hours. It’s always wonky to predict attendance for that sort of thing.

Classes could be nice, too. But – most them are outside my personal interest.

1 Like

I’ll still put them on the calendars as an event, though.

3 Likes

Electronics Office Hours is a great idea! For instance, one of the three transistors on my Electronic Playground kit went out, and I don’t know what to replace it with. It’s not a problem yet, because I’m not to a project that requires all three.

1 Like

First event submitted for Thursday March 2nd, 6-8PM. Will hopefully show in the calendar in a day or two.

I plan to do this every other week if interest is sufficient. Days will vary based on my other commitments.

3 Likes

Annd, it’s live.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/19358

4 Likes