Electronics Lab Purge - Last Chance to Get Parts

Ok, the lab is getting overly cluttered and hard to navigate safely. I’m planning a day next week (so far Tuesday 6pm) to cull through the old gear, boxes of cruft and parts. Please plan to join us if you have an interest in what we keep and want first dibs on what we put on the donation shelf or toss.

We will be putting all the surface mount parts into a couple of clean trash bins in the hallway next to the eLab. If you want any of these parts, we will have baggies and a suggested donation. Anything left by the end of the week will be tossed.

Come and help make the room usable again!

4 Likes

There is a Maker Space forming in Fort Worth - do you mind if I contact them to see if they would the items. I’m sure when we were starting out anything was treasure.

There is no issue with contacting them but they need to act fast.

1 Like

Go ahead and contact them. But next week is the limit.

I’ve removed the wireless dev kit that I brought to the lab, I’ll be up there shortly to grab my book to free up some more space.

I posted a link to this thread on their Meet-up page. Mathieu Thiems is a member here and organizer

Why are we poopoo-ing the SMT parts? There’s a lot of great stuff in the stores, and plenty of adapter boards on eBay to convert them to DIP if you so choose.

Yeah, totally keep the jellybeans… transistors, MAX2232/variants, 74-series logic,a good collection of 5% resistors, and capacitors.

We don’t need 1000s of parts, but those are a good basis for repairs and quick ‘oh crap’ gets.

Mainly in that they have been in there for about a year now. I have not seen much utilization of them. Tired of having to put them back and them falling on my head.

If you wish to aquire specific things, show up and help us redirect them to good homes.

Thanks for doing this Ken. We have needed this cleared out since the old space.

Fair enough. There’s a lot of random crap in there.

I will say that one of my most useful buys in the past few years was a set of ‘resistor books’ that had every 1% 0603 resistor available. It was fairly expensive, but unfortunately stayed at an old job.

@DanielHooper & @zmetzing, shoot me a PM of things you think we should stock. I do want to provide a resource for those “oh shit it’s 3am and I need a 7805”.

3.3/5v regs, basic op amps, etc.

I may have to flag @Nick’s gif, making me have a seizure :wink:

1 Like

Someplace in the eLab I have a cheap, battery powered, Chinese portable audio amplifier. I bought it to use to test microphones and other audio projects. I use it now and then to test stuff. It’s in a box on top a shelf last I saw.

1 Like

If there’s no plan for the PCB mill I can give it a good home.

The PCB mill is on loan from a member.

The plan for the PCB Mill is to put it on a rolling cart and store in the Reloading room.

1 Like

Custom engraving bullets with people’s names on them? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Damn, I love your thinking. Also bullet art.

There’s a movie that I can’t remember, maybe a war movie… a guy carries around a bullet in his pocket with his own name on it.

Somebody thinks this is kinda silly and ribs on him and he says

“If I got the bullet with my name on it, ain’t nobody else gonna be able to shoot it at me.”

That seems really useful, & I’m sorry I didn’t know about it before.