Electro-etching class or shadow box class?

Would you guys be interested in a class on how to electrically etch metal? Or would you rather a class on how to do a basic woodworking project (probably shadow boxes, but I’m open to suggestions if you guys want to try something else)? Both classes? Something else entirely?

3 Likes

I am interested in all methods to etch copper

Electro etching, yes. I currently “ha” etch copper using a muriatic acid/hydrogen peroxide mixture, and while it works ok, I’m not a fan of having to dispose of used liquid afterwards.

I’d want to etch copper, brass, and aluminum.

A couple of years ago I bought a… car battery charger maybe? following some instructions. I clearly did something wrong because it didn’t work.

1 Like

I am interested in BOTH! Please scheduled before or after July. I’ll be out of town then 3 weeks.

Thank you
Anita Willis

Do you still have the charger? If they are wanting to do an electrolysis set up that would be very helpful. If not I’ve got one that I think would work, been meaning to set one up.for awhile to restore old cast iron stuff

Both would be great and relatively cheap to find. If you want to brainstorm on the electro ethcing let me know I’d like to help/learn

Couple of c batteries, distilled water + kosher salt, and a tank to etch in and you’re good to go…

I’ll be doing a class at some point, just dunno when.

3 Likes

This is what I have

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I think that Schumacher is too “advanced”, with auto-type detection and other “features” which mean it won’t do diddly unless it detects a battery on the leads.
I think you need something less “smart”, that just puts out 14vdc regardless of what’s attached to it…

That may be why I had trouble making it work. Granted, I was following some random instructions I found and had no idea what I was doing either.

I’m pretty sure something like this would do what you need.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/d/battery-charger-6-and-12-volt/6600522645.html
But they’re not cheap, because people like them, because they just do what you ask (unlike the new ones that get all finicky about how much smarter than you they are…)

I’m telling ya, a couple of C or D batteries and you are good to go. Alkaline, not lipo…

2 Likes

I’ve heard of people using power supply from junked pc as a source. Ymmv.

yeah, apparently there are people here that are much more into etching than i thought. I was just going to show people how to do it using a hacked power supply, a q-tip, and some salt water

Alright. I’m going to test this, and my charger tonight and post results. I have a rare evening with the family all being out… and this is what I’m doing…

3 Likes

Alright folks here’s what we have.

I started with a scrap piece of copper and used steel wool to take off the coating.

I used a vinyl decal for the resist because I’ve wanted to try this instead of a sharpie, or toner transfer as I normally to, just to see if it would work.

I added salt to regular tap water even though I read that distilled water was best to use. I added maybe a half cup of salt to about 2 cups of water. Roughly. I neglected to take a picture of the water, but it was really just saturated saltwater.

I attached the positive side to thick copper wire, that is attached to the copper I’m etching. I covered the back with masking tape to prevent it from etching.

For the negative side I wrapped some copper wire around a random bolt I had. Once on, the bolt started forming bubbles which was a good sign.

After about 10 minutes I checked the progress and it was looking good. It’s definitely eating away at the copper.

I put it back turned it on and let it run about 45 minutes. The water is pretty nasty now.

So after 45 minutes I took it out and rinsed it off. It’s looking pretty good here.

The back side was etched a little, so masking tape isn’t a good idea. Next time I’ll try duct tape.

The moment of truth. Yeah, that looks like a nice clean edge there.

Removing the vinyl shows a great edge. I have no way of measuring the thickness, but it’s enough that you can catch the edge with a fingernail easily.

Well since I have this nice etched copper piece may as well finish it up. I scrubbed it clean with steel wool.

Next I forced a patina.

Last step is to lightly go over it with steel wool again, and a little bit of copper shine.

Join the Resistance.

8 Likes

Yes, I’m replying to my own post, because I’m a dingus.

This weekend I was working on a project that requires electro etching brass. I was not successful. A horrible mess was made and I pretty much destroyed my brass, which is fine.

So today I come talk to ask a question about my process hoping someone could point me to my problem, because I was really not sure what I did wrong. As I’m starting to post, that annoying “your post is similar to this post” thing comes up and there on the second line is my post. This post. Which I just read, and realized I had the wires reversed and that’s why it’s not working.

So yeah, past me posted this wonderful step by step instructions on what to do, and present me just found them fixing my problem. sigh.

2 Likes

It works best with an adjustable power supply (see what science has for plating)…the texturing on yours @Webdevel is because you’re going too fast (assuming you would like it smoother). It all has to be adjusted to the surface area exposed.

I got five or six wall warts from the freebie bin and made a class set of them. Lasted a good year and a half before the children rusted out the leads but I’ll just resolder them. I’m working on reusing the etching solution for plating but it’s not going great.
Theoretically it can be done though since you’ve made a copper salt solution. Probably because I suck at science…but one day! I’d build a nice one but do not have the $150 Amazon wants for a variable power supply. Another way to make it schmancy is to use a conductive housing and clip into it. (Check out the E3 system. Sound design, quite overpriced)