Election of Machine Shop Chair @ Next Meeting

Becuase I’ve been elected to to Board of Directors, I’ll be resigning as Chair as soon as a new Chair can be elected and appointed by the BoD effective the next BoD meeting.

This is to avoid any appearance of conflict of interests in dealing with the Machine Shop.

So those that like would consider it, I ask you step forward. We are fortunate that we have Teams formed or being formed to support your work as Chair.

Please submit your names. Keep us strong. I will still be helping.

Thank you for electing me as Chair twice. I’m honored.

10 Likes

David, thank you for all you’ve done. the revamp of the machine shop in the last few months has been amazing. could you jot down some of the open issues or unfinished business the new chair will face just to give some direction and keep the momentum we’ve had going? thanks.

6 Likes

Right now what I want to get finished or rather tasks I have in mind:

1. welding up the Sherline table, @TBJK & I calculated what is needed: about $200~$250.
  2. As soon as fabrication on that it started I’ll order the Sherlines. In fact will order by end of week to push.
  3. Cold Cut saw needs some alignment - get perpendicular.
  4. Form Sherline team & Bridgeport Team (that may be me)
  5. Order Haas parts tomorrow.
  6. Gib crane for lathe.
  7. Start Intro to Machine Shop class - working with that for part online on Moodle.
  8. Clean and reorganize grey cabinets.

If those are done I feel Machine Shop will have made significant transition since I took over I personal sense of achievement and I love that there are people out there working and interested in making things out of metal. I think when we get the Sherlines up and running, a whole new group makers will be learning the fun and joy of machining. They graduate from the small to bigger projects.

My goal has always been to get more people using the machines, more people involved. Thanks to all of you folks that’s happened and will continue to happen. We’ve collectively made a lot of good things happen. More to come. It’s exciting!

5 Likes

David and I spoke this afternoon, and I would be interested in having a discussion with the teams in the Machine Shop. I am new to the space, however I do have some background in fabrication. I know that David has let the teams do what they do best, and I like that approach. I don’t want to step on any toes, and I think that we can continue getting more people interested in using the big intimidating whirly tools. At this point, I’d like to investigate the wants and needs of the team as far as people go, then we can look at the projects that are in the near future.

2 Likes

To whoever else wants to run for this position: I will still be around and still plan to be active and fully supporting the Machine Shop Chair and Teams. But to avoid the appearance of a conflict for anything submitted to the BoD for funding, I would have to recuse myself as I’d be making the request. So now is your chance to have your boot on my throat!

BoD members have acted as Chairs for other committees, but I don’t think Erik being a BoD and chairing Logistics that makes sure certain essentials on are hand was going to be perceived as a conflict.

I nominate @wandrson

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I second @wandrson’s nomination.

3 Likes

I veto my nomination.

6 Likes

I think it would be purely selfish to not let this opportunity go to our senior engineering student. The chance to gain leadership practice relevant to the world, perfect resume item. Designer of Robots. If not he senior one then the younger fair haired one.

Yes, Frank or Calvin!