Effective Way to create an arch in a steel rod?

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to create a smooth arch of about 2-3’ from the middle with a 10’ by either 3/4" or 1" steel rod? Heat with a jig? A roller? Or?

Also, is there anything in the metal shop that is designed to do this?

Kinda confused on what you are trying to do here. Do you mean an arc as from a Jacobs ladder? You would need a lot of voltage to do an arc from a decent distance. Or are you trying to some welding on a smaller rod?

I think the tubing roller “is designed to do this”, if I’m undestanding what you need correctly…

You’ll need the dies for it…

2 Likes

See that makes more sense. Lol.
Yes that roller would do it. Deformation should not be an issue if it is solid rod.

I say try it with the roller we have.

1 Like

Sorry I meant arch. I’m trying to take a 10’ steel rod and create a smooth arch in the rod of about 2-3’ from the middle to both ends. Not a semicircle.

Good point. On round, solid stock, it might work just peachy.
(I thought I once saw dies for that machine for solid bar, but I’m not finding it now…)

1 Like

there’s also stuff like this
http://www.american-machines.com/products/Di-Acro-Model-3-Manual-Bender-and-Tooling/68.html

But I don’t think we have anything like it, and is likely not the thing for bar that big…

The roller can roll shapes other than circles/semicircles by manipulating the stock, for example, by rolling only within 2’ from the middle and then switching which side is in the roller, but still might not be what you’re after (maybe a sketch would help?).
The slip roller has bar grooves, but they’re much smaller than that.
I don’t know what the english wheel has along these lines, if anything…

1 Like

Yes, it will be a solid rod, actually doing 2 of the them. I’ll take a look at the roller next time I am there. Thanks.

I’m thinking I could build a simple jig and use heat to bend it as well.

1 Like

Here is a quick sketch of what I am thinking about doing. Haven’t worked out all the details yet, but it will look similar to this when done. The gate opening will span about 8’ and the 1" steel rod will be welded on the top and bottom of the sign, that will be 1/4" plate in 3-4 sections. That I’ll either plasma cut or laser cut.

1 Like

Seems like 1 inch square tube is a bit of a challenge on the HF roller. I’m expecting 1 inch solid bar to be worse, likely much worse.

1 Like

That could be a new art form: “High - Energy XPlosive Metal Sculpture” one of a kind metal art, you never know what you are getting until the dust settles. :grinning::laughing:

That’s why I’m thinking about building a jig and heating with clamps to create it or finding a hydraulic bender/roller that might work. Maybe even build one with an enerpac ram.

1 Like

I’d suggest a from that the bars are bent around on a flat surface, then weld the ends then the signage in the middle, you’d effectively lock everything into place.

1" steel bar is probably going to over tax that roller we have - I think it is more for conduit type tubing.

The English wheel is for flat stock

2 Likes

I think this what I am going to try. Get them bent close to the shape I need in a jig and then clamp the 2 rods to the sign in a form and weld together. Using the cut out sign as the guide for each steel rod.

1 Like