Editing Software

Hello!

My wife has a metric ton (just kidding) of 8 mm video she had converted to digital video. She’s now working through the footage making discs for various family members. For example, she’s making a disc of all the footage of her sister Betsy. The effort is not to alter the raw footage but to copy-then-paste snippets from various AVI files into one video file (final file format is probably not terribly important).

Currently she’s using Power Director. It can best be described as “OK”. Can anyone recommend something better for this sort of work?

1 Like

I believe the space (Digital Media) has a Adobe Premeir license. Maybe bring her by to try it out and see how she likes it?

OpenShot works for me, but I’m not sure if they’ve released the non-Linux versions yet.

Dang! That was fast! Thank you both for the reply!

It looks like they have a trial version. She’s going to give that a spin here. If she likes it she can sign up for a family member account.

I will let you know.

Does OpenShot have “cataloging” where you can build up a database of clips (file / time range)?

I’ve had surprisingly good luck with both Windows Movie Maker and iMovie. Both have import options that will copy the media before touching it. Premiere or Final Cut are fantastic programs, but I find I can navigate the basics just fine for most clip and edit jobs.

It comes down to her personal preference and skill level. I’m adobe dumb, so no shame in using these :slight_smile:

I believe that OpenShot does have that function, although I’ve not really used it so far in what I’ve done.