Easy Wood Turning tools 15% off

Wood Turners Catalog has all Easy Wood stuff on sale 15% off. Replacement cutters including negative rake as well. Not seeing the same discount at Woodcraft or Rockler.

3 Likes

Gee, thanks Greg. Another rabbit hole to fall into clutching my debit card.

Nice lead…thanks.

So is a negative rake the same as a “reverse rake” that Steve says was designed for resin turning?

Yes. But note: you may get a slightly better cut, but unlike standard cutters, they cannot be easily resharpened.

@Lordrook, @jnorine, do you guys agree?

It’s a bit more substantial than slightly better in my experience so even though they can’t be sharpened I think they are worth it

3 Likes

Even after sanding up through micro mesh series you can tell the diff? I am asking because if so then I’ll get some for myself. So it’s all on your shoulders, now…

On resin it’s a smoother cut producing less/no tear outs or chips. Even with a standard carbide cutter you can get weird catches that will tear a chunk out of resin and only real way to fix it is to cut past it. Looks like chipped glass.

That being said if you are working a hybrid or wood only it’s better to use a sharp standard carbide cutter. NR will tear wood like crazy when it dulls in the slightest.

1 Like

I’ve never even tried to sharpen a negative rake head. I imagine it’s theoretically possible, but I’d probably not really bother.

And it may be placebo, but I’ve had a much easier time turning resin with the NR than I have with regular heads; the regular ones cause pretty consistent chip-out when I’ve used them, where I have to really try to get the same amount with the NR. And less chip out means I can leave more material instead of having to cut smaller to get rid of all the chip pockmarks.

@Jeeves and @Lordrook are the ones who turned me on to them - and they’ve never led me astray before.

1 Like

@jnorine, @Jeeves, @nate: thanks, that’s just the type of unambiguous and consensus feedback I was looking for. Ordering some some as soon as I hit “reply” here.

So what would be the appropriate ones for a relative rookie to order? (All those CS numbers don’t tell a noob like me anything…

HA! dragged you down the rabbit hole with YOUR debit card!

So, the numbers correspond to the size - Ci0 is the round finisher that fits the full-size and the Professional size (the bigger of the two common ones).

So, the easiest thing is to look up the handle you want and match the number to the handle. Full-size and professional use same size (bigger) and mid-size and mini use same size (smaller).

Those are just to match the cutter head with the correct tool. I don’t recall what the ones at the space are but they are all stamped on the shaft so just match to that

1 Like

So something else to add to my to-do list for tomorrow…

Keep helping out around the 'Space like you have been and I may just order you a couple!

Sorry folks I tend to only hang out on talk during business hours.

A- I like easy wood tools, however I believe them to be really overpriced. If you want the tools themselves might I suggest Savannah tools. I have some at home and they’re just as good for about 45% cheaper. Same cutter size, threading, etc.

B- Regarding the Negative rake cutters they are absolutely worth it for resin/acrylic turning. I’m actually very mad at them because I spend years learning how to use a regular carbide cutter to turn the resin, honing the skill, then they came out with these cutter heads where practically anyone can turn resin/acrylic without fear of shattering them. I kind of feel like I wasted my late 30’s. But seriously, they’re worth it and I would recommend them to anyone interested in turning resins or acrylics. I’ve never heard of a Reverse Rake though Judy so I’m not sure what that is. I’d almost suspect its someone trying to rebrand Negative Rake so they can upcharge their cutter heads and tell people their brand of magic sauce is better than the others.

2 Likes

Just be grateful you can remember them.

between the ambien and booze… its debatable.

1 Like

Obviously, my brain mis-remembered that part of the class discussion. But I did inadvertently suck @mblatz into buying some, so there’s that. :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes