Eastfield has several HAAS CNC class openings

Hello. As I’ve mentioned in the past - Eastfield College in Mesquite has a machine shop / CNC program. The fall semester still has a few(3) openings for the CNC mill class (HAAS). Normally there are some class pre-requisites to the class, but I’ve spoken to the professor and he has agreed to waive those pre-reqs if the class is taken as a non-credit workforce enhancement class. But there are still some pre-reqs:

• students will need to know how to cut and prepare stock on a manual mill. This is an advanced machining class so knowing machining is important.
  • since the pre-req of 2 semesters of MasterCam are waived a program must be chosen to do the CAD/CAM: that will be Fusion360. Learn it before you take the class. You can use Inventor to do the CAD and import that if you’re already familiar with Inventor.
  • 5 student projects are required to be completed. After that, the remainder of the semester can be used for your personal projects. The projects will require you to submit your files, prepare a procedural and setup sheet, and do quality control on your finished part.

The last day to register is August 15. Now to emphasize what a good deal this is - if you tried to ‘rent’ time on a HAAS somewhere you’re probably talking about $200+ / hour. so $240 for 16 saturdays for 6 hours each comes out to $2.50/hour. I am merely a ‘friend’ of the college and will be taking the class as well to get time on the machines. I will be available to help with the toolpathing and control.

4 Likes

Of course I should mention that HAAS classes are ongoing here at the MakerSpace. It may be a little slow at getting you there, but I do cover everything you need to be a HAAS operator and with Fusion360 available for free you can teach yourself to CAD and CAM.

1 Like

I’m going to check and see if I can make this fit my schedule. Thanks so much for posting.

Do you have the actual name of the class? as well as the professor’s name and contact. If you could PM that to me I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

Likely no reason for PMing unless you just want it that way.
This is all public knowledge.
It’s likely this class: MCHN 2431
http://econnect.dcccd.edu/econnect/Schedule/Fall/prefix/MCHN.html
With instructor name, phone, etc. under the “vita” link.
Here’s 2016’s syllabus:

All this stuff’s on the public site…trying to LOCATE it can be a bitch…
now, if you want a PERSONAL contact number, that’s obviously a different discussion, and I would suggest you offer your number to OtherNick to pass along to the instructor, if you’re wanting to chat with him on a personal line… But maybe that’s just me.

that sylabus is not correct for the class. it is for one of the machining classes.

1 Like

Fair enough.
Here’s the syllabus for 2016’s MCHN 2441.

Obviously, the entire class could have been overhauled since 2016, but the point is what it represents.
I’m pointing out that there isn’t much need for PM in this information. It is all intended to be publicly available on the DCCCD/EFC web.

I didn’t want it public because there were only 3 seats left. :smiling_imp: No need to make it easy on the others that might beat me to it.

1 Like