Early 3D printer use training

Greetings; I am a new member of the Makerspace that needs to complete the mandatory training in the 3D fabrication lab ASAP (i.e before the next scheduled class on 06.26). I was referred to either Mitch or Axeonos for more information. Thank you in advance.

how asap is asap? im doing an impromptu training class sunday for shits and giggles you can join…

2 Likes

Sunday will work. What time?

evening around 6 3d fab

Do you have room for one more? I’d love to join.

I’m not bringing brown filament.

1 Like

my classes are open to all. this is not on the calender nor will i be paid so its not really so formal… but anyone wanting to come learn and be put into the AD are welcome

3 Likes

Count me in for sure! Do we need to bring anything?

Is there any chance that we can discuss switching out nozzles for using different kinds of filament?

short answer: No. Long answer: still no, but with reason, we use only ABS for consistency. the only ones allowed to change nozzles are chairperson of 3d fab and those who work or have worked for polyprinter in the past.

i will not budge from that rule.

I understand that as meaning that if I want to use Ninjaflex for a print, I will need to use one of the printers that is already preconfigured for that filament?

I want to join in Sunday, too❣️ Since it’s not official, should we all throw money at you? Or what is your favorite snack?

1 Like

They are already capable of printing ninjaflex. HOWEVER - the rule in 3d fab is that we only use ABS filament to reduce setting mix-ups that can harm the extruders causing excessive down time.

All of this is covered in the class as well.

1 Like

Why is there a price list including Ninjaflex if we can’t use it?

Nice Laughing Man logo, by the way.

I believe members are able to buy/use Ninjaflex on the printers after taking and advance class on the subject and being added to this list.

It’s very logical.

Indeed. I do not see an advanced 3d printing class currently listed in the upcoming classes/events list. Does anybody have an indication as to when that would be made available?

1 Like

I’d probably poke axie about it when you take her class, she might want to get that one on the calendar though so 3dfab can get honorarium for it.

Thank you, I will ask. I need to be able to use flexible filament for prototyping parts for a research lab, so it’s important that I be able to do so as soon as humanly or Vulcan-human-hybridly possible. The other researchers want their components, and I have to deliver on their schedule.

You could rent a PolyPrinter if you are that pressed for time. Then you don’t have to follow the DMS rules.

The space has rules set up to protect the machines from the use of a bunch of new people all at once. A single user machine is substantially easier to maintain.

I suppose I could disclose I work for PolyPrinter and also maintain the machines at the space

2 Likes

The only issue with that is that our budget doesn’t really allow for renting anything, and the onus is on me to prove that this is an effective way for prototyping parts and is worth diverting additional funds to. Other than that I completely agree.