Dynatorch issue today

I am not sure if this is an issue with the Dynatorch or what. The error I am getting indicates that either there is junk in the consumables or a short in the ohmic sensor. The consumables are mine and never used before. I disassymbled the torch head and they were indeed clean. I have no idea how to trouble shoot the sensor?

Are you 100% you got the consumables in the right way or sure that there is no slag build up on the shield?

Yes, the consumables had never been used before. I took it all apart and double checked for junk and how they were assembled. All was good.

When I say the consumables are new, I should qualify. The shield, nozzle and electrode were new.

The hypertherm is really a simple torch and about the only thing you might assemble wrong is the swirl ring. Assuming everything is in the right place and nothing obvious is going on, then with the POWER OFF you can easily trace a short to ground with an ohm meter. The bed is grounded so I’d disconnect the sensor lead from the retainer and check for a short to ground. If that’s clear, check the nozzle to ground. If that is also clear then its something that should be referred to the committee.

Thanks Steve. All my tools are in storage. Does anyone know where I can find a continuity checker/mulitmeter. If so I will go back tomorrow and see what I can find out.

You might look in Electronics. They’re in the far NW corner of the new space.

Ok thank you on where to find a multimeter. The torch is not shorted out. I now believe it is dirty consumables. I started the project again and it ran fine for about 20 inches. Then I got the same error when it attempted to start the fifth letter. The original consumables were almost new. I changed out the consumables and it ran the rest of the project with no problems. So, can anyone suggest why my consumables are getting so fouled.

Sight unseen, best guess is dirty stock.